Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yesterday me and my wife were on our way to New Orleans to catch wwe raw. Well about 15 minutes into the ride cruising at 65 mph I see the tow/haul light flashing. About 10 seconds after that the transmission goes from 6th gear to 3rd and bogs the truck down super hard. I put it in neutral and got to the shoulder. Scanned the codes and it said solenoid was stuck open and something about output shaft speed sensor. I restart the truck and try to limp it back home, tranny temps never got above 170 on my sct scanner. The truck was bouncing back and forth between 3rd and 5th gear and it idled around 800RPM. Get half way home and now it’s only staying in 5th gear. Wake up this morning and returned my truck back to stock (lost the codes) and it’s driving normally. Got it to 85 mph and temps around 170 and nothing. Is this a common issue?

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
shift solenoid replacement is very common on the 5R100s. I noticed you returned truck to stock... What programmer and tune were you running? Also what mods? lift, tires, etc?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So just got home from work and drove about 40 mph home for 30 minutes. Never got flashing lights or any codes. Transmission shifted perfectly. Temperature stayed around 165. Should I just drop the pan and look for any debris and change the solenoid?

·
Registered
8,483 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took about 30 minutes but the codes did come back. I give up and I’m gonna take it to a shop. Showed output shaft speed sensor code, solenoid D stuck and friction something

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just another update. Truck is in the shop, so far they drove it on the interstate for a good period of time and can’t get the truck to throw any codes or slip. They are gonna try again

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Just another update. Truck is in the shop, so far they drove it on the interstate for a good period of time and can’t get the truck to throw any codes or slip. They are gonna try again
Ughh...intermittent problems are the worst! Keep us updated on the progress.

-jokester

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just left the shop. I offered to drive while the tech rode with me. Took about 20 minutes but I got it to slip. This time at 75 mph it dropped to 1st gear but I was able to catch it and put it in neutral before it dropped down. Thanks to my sct I was able to see that gear drop. So I turned it off and drove it back to the shop and t came on again and stayed in 5th gear and I drove it straight into their bay so they can use their scanner

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shop just called saying they are gonna pull the transmission and do an internal inspection of all the parts. They said overdrive was slipping and the trans fluid was cloudy

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another update... I’m not to familiar with transmissions so I’ll try and e plain what he said. Basically it had an internal seal leak between 3-4 and it wasn’t allowing enough fluid to everything behind it. Said tnats why it would slip in 5th and out of overdrive, he also said it slightly burned the fluid which is the darkish color I saw when I dropped the pan. I asked why it never showed high temps on my sct scanner he was unsure but my guess if maybe the temp sensor location? Not real sure. But the torque converter was also sent off to Houston to be rebuilt

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just another update. They got my “rebuilt” transmission back in and they said they are having issues with the truck acting like it’s in neutral after 3rd gear, not wanting to shift to the next gear.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully the final update. Like the poster before, they said it’s a bad shift solenoid that burned up the clutch or gear. So it’s finally ready and I’ll pick it up monday

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got the truck back and got about 5 minutes down the road and got a tow/haul flash. Checked my scanner and it’s p1744, called transmission shop and he said it’s going to shift weird and show some codes until it relearns, just keep driving it. The torque converter was rebuilt according to them. It no longer slips but once I’m at about 50 mph it does take slightly longer than before to go into the last gear or overdrive whatever one it is. 2nd to 3rd gear is a little weird when taking off kinda fast, stumbles for a second, but I chocked that up to the relearning process since it’s not throwing any codes during that

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have tow/haul flashing. Mine seems to be different than the original post. When i get to 55 mph or over the tow/haul starts flashing. It will not allow me to select overdrive or tow/haul after the 55 mph. The flashing will last until i shut off the engine and then it will be fine once i restart the engine until i hit 55 mph. The tow/haul works fine up until i hit 55, i am able to select and deselect in between 0-54 mph as normal. Does not seem to be effecting shifting or performance from what i can tell, but then again i am new to powerstrokes and don't have a baseline to go off of. Anyone experienced anything like this?

Thank you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts