Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post to the forum and it looks to be very informative so maybe you guys could help me out. My truck is a '03 6.0 with the automatic. Here is the problem. I was driving through town tonight when I noticed my tow/haul light was flashing and the temp guage was pegged in the red with CHECK GUAGE lit up beside. This scared the piss out of me so I pulled over and shut the truck off. I set for 10 minutes and take back off. It's still doing it and its shifting way too hard. I hadn't be hot roddin it just driving normal. I make it back home and let is set for an hour. I went out and started it up and everything is fine. I check the fluid and its right on the money and it doesn't look like its been in there long. I've had the truck for 3 months and I've not touced it other than oil, cai, and a turbo back exhaust. So I go down the road and the temps are coming up like they normally do then the guage shot back up and that light is flashing again. Weird part is it shifted perfect on the back home. From what I've found on here is that I need a new sensor of some kind. Is this right? I also read where tuners can mess up trannys but I don't have one yet. Anybody explain to me what I need to do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dads truck (05 6.0) had the same thing happen with only about 30,000. So he took it to the ford dealer and they took apart the transmission and it was shredded.so since it was under warranty they put in a rebuild and its ran fine ever since. so i would say its a tranny issue.

JP

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
go to the dealer and have them read the codes. when the tow/haul blinks it means there is a tranny code. then go from there.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
My dads truck (05 6.0) had the same thing happen with only about 30,000. So he took it to the ford dealer and they took apart the transmission and it was shredded.so since it was under warranty they put in a rebuild and its ran fine ever since. so i would say its a tranny issue.

JP
Not to sound facetious here, But I think he has figured that part out.
To be honest, I have never torn one of these down, But a tranny is a tranny. The basics are the same. I would start with checking the fluid, Which you have done, I'm sure you checked warm on level ground and in N. Second thought would be a sensor. Which, Once again, Your on it.
From here I would take it to Auto Zone or a dealer and have them plug in and read the codes.
Post the codes here, I am sure at that point a Tech will come along and decipher the code for you.
At that point you will have good direction.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Good luck man.

P.S. You did say you got a " Check Engine " Light correct?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was "Check Guage" directly beside the tranny temp guage. I'll try to run it over to Advance Auto today or tomorrow and let them read the codes. I'll post codes when I get them. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I took my truck to Advance yesterday. No codes whatsoever. It was doing fine on the way there so I thought that it must of been the full moon Saturday night lol. On the way home it done it again, pegged guage, flashing light, and hard clunky shifts. It stayed that way the whole way home but it started shifting normal. So I'm just not gonna drive it till I can take it to the tranny shop toward the end of the week and have them look it over. This is stressing me out.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Well I took my truck to Advance yesterday. No codes whatsoever. It was doing fine on the way there so I thought that it must of been the full moon Saturday night lol. On the way home it done it again, pegged guage, flashing light, and hard clunky shifts. It stayed that way the whole way home but it started shifting normal. So I'm just not gonna drive it till I can take it to the tranny shop toward the end of the week and have them look it over. This is stressing me out.
No big deal. Just another issue that needs attention.:thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 ford 6.0 and my truck is doing the same thing. The tow/haul light keeps flashing off and on. The check gauges light keeps coming on. I have a edge programmer and exhaust. The edge program read a PO113 code and I looked it up. Its reading a high temp input sensor. How much does a senor cost?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I would not trust a torqshift transmission at a "tranny shop". I doubt advanced even has the diagnosis equipment to read tranny codes off of these computers. A reputable tranny shop may have the right scanners, because there is definitely a code. If you can afford it, just take it to a dealer you trust. good luck to you man.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would not trust a torqshift transmission at a "tranny shop". I doubt advanced even has the diagnosis equipment to read tranny codes off of these computers. A reputable tranny shop may have the right scanners, because there is definitely a code. If you can afford it, just take it to a dealer you trust. good luck to you man.
Yeah I'm not gonna trust them either after I talked to them today. The guy said he hadn't worked on those trannys before. I'm gonna call the dealer I bought the truck from and have them look at it. I know it was odd that Advance didn't pick up any codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2005 ford 6.0 and my truck is doing the same thing. The tow/haul light keeps flashing off and on. The check gauges light keeps coming on. I have a edge programmer and exhaust. The edge program read a PO113 code and I looked it up. Its reading a high temp input sensor. How much does a senor cost?
If it is a sensor causing this I'd put it in myself. I'd say it's probably a Ford only piece. If thats what its called I see tomorrow how much one is.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I doubt a sensor would be causing hard clunky shifts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It's a bad trans temp sensor in the trans. Very common problem. Any independent trans shop can service the trans and replace the sensor at the same time. Depending on your location, around $150 to $250.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a bad trans temp sensor in the trans. Very common problem. Any independent trans shop can service the trans and replace the sensor at the same time. Depending on your location, around $150 to $250.
Yep, thats what it turned out to be. I took it to Ford today. The yran the tests on the truck and said the sensor was actually reading "below zero" in their words. They said that was the first they had seen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh. I took my truck to west coast diesel performance. They found that it was a bad sensor in the tranny. It cost me 800 bucks! They also did a transmission service on it too.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Oh. I took my truck to west coast diesel performance. They found that it was a bad sensor in the tranny. It cost me 800 bucks! They also did a transmission service on it too.
they should have a smiley holding up a sign that says "raped!".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts