Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys. I have an 05 6.0 with 213k. WITH A CRANK/NO-START CONCERN. I have been messing with this thing for two weeks now. The following is what I know to be FACTS:

Customer came home for lunch. Went to start truck a half hour later and got a crank/no-start situation.

FICM is rebuilt (a week before customer brought it to me).
FICM LOGIC= 48VOLTS
FICM VEHICLE= 12.9x
ICP= is more then enough to start truck (as much as 2,200PSI)
LPOP is fine and DOES fill the filter housing
Fuel pressure is fine and DOES fill the filter housing
All fuses are fine and relays have power and grounds where needed.

I DO have access to scan tools and equipment if anyone needs any other parameters let me know.

Thanks in advance! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Since you have access to a scanner set it up for live data and on your FICM pids check for sync on both FICM and PCM. Depending on the scanner all it will say is yes/no or 1/2.

If the scanner has a graph function you can actually see the wave form. Most of them u right click on the pid and a submenu comes up with options.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Sorry I forgot this. If it is an intermittant problem you may need to run a datalog until the event actually happens.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Wow that is odd was there a decimal point in there somewhere?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I am still having a no start condistion with the same truck. I am lost. No smoke when cranking.

Customer wants me to do a sinister diesel oil cooler/egr upgrade as well as an SCT livewire install.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replaced ECM. Had it reprogrammed via Ford dealer. Now injectors actually click when I key-on. Truck wants to start and I get white smoke but it just will not start.

Anyone know where to go now?

·
Registered
42 Posts
two things to look at; what is the ficm voltage while cranking(should be at 48vt) also, i had a ac compressor pully cease on me causing slow cranking w/no start...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FICM voltage KOEO= 48volts and same while cranking.

Engine cranks fine. I put fresh batteries in it as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have you performed the buzz test

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is it hot, cold, or all the time no start

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you performed the buzz test
Our scanner has the ability to do some click tests but not buzz test the injectors. and it does not matter if it is hot or cold. We had the truck inside with the block heater on and it still would not start.

I am commencing tear down in preparation for sinister diesel oil and EGR cooler upgrades. If there is anything else I should replace while I am down there please speak your minds! THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know where I can locate an oil filter mounting cover (the cover the bolts to the top of the oil cooler cover)? I was re-assembling this one and it cracked on me.

Dealer wants $275.00 my cost for it.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Ouch try Touselyford.com or sunise ford.com they have good prices and reputation.
When testing the fuel pressure did u use a mechanical gauge and find 45 psi min.
Did you air test the HP oil system while you were in there?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Maybe you should check for combustion gases in the fuel rail.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I did not use a mechanical pressure tester. and I would indeed like to test the HP oil system while I have this thing torn down. Any guides would be awesome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Would like to ask a question that relates to this, can you post a diagram with enough info so a first timer getting this deep into the HPOP system knows what he is looking at, branch tubes, STC, oil rails and so on. I am replacing the IPR on my 05 without removing the turbo, should be in tomorrow but if I need to go deeper could use some guideance. I have been scouring the posts and knowlege on these boards and would not have imagined getting as far as I have without all the help given.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Would like to ask a question that relates to this, can you post a diagram with enough info so a first timer getting this deep into the HPOP system knows what he is looking at, branch tubes, STC, oil rails and so on. I am replacing the IPR on my 05 without removing the turbo, should be in tomorrow but if I need to go deeper could use some guideance. I have been scouring the posts and knowlege on these boards and would not have imagined getting as far as I have without all the help given.
Go here and download the coffee table books..........http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/
Youtube srmastertech.......great videos.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts