Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off. I'm a die hard ford guy. But over the last 3 years I've come to like my dads d-max mainly becouse of the trany, I love how it works. Now that I have my 04' F350 and towed around 10K lbs this weekend.

I'm confused how the torqueshift works? Please explain it to me! Does the tow/haul mode lock you out of overdrive?

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
It does not lock you out of OD, but rather locks the T/C in more gears then it would have in non tow/haul mode. In addtion to this it holds shifts longer to get the truck into its maximun torque peak, so when it shift to the next gear it does not have much further to go before its in the max torque zone.

And for the record, your 5R110 is a much better tranny than that allison.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Also, when the tranny gets to a certain temp it has 6 gears. Cold, it has 5. RIGHT??

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
6 gears, but 4th isn't used except in extremely cold weather. I believe the 6.4 is the same setup as the 6.0L...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
:agree: It has 2 3rd gears, normally it will use 3a but in cold temperatures it will substitute to 3b to aid in quicker trans warm up...

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Cool, I knew it was something like that. thanks for clearing that up guys. I knew I wasn't crazy when I was counting my shifts. They're so noticeable with innovative's tunes :thumb:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Actually, as I understand it, the Torqshift is a 5 speed plus overdrive. And it can overdrive 3rd, 4th, or 5th gears as needed. Effectively giving it 8 forward speeds to choose from. The Torqshift is arguably the best transmission of all the Big 3. Easily able to handle over 400 RWHP, whereas the Allison is on borrowed time with anything past 400 RWHP.

·
Registered
386 Posts
allison makes a good medium duty trans (world series) but there light duty (duramelt... i mean max)trans don't hold up and don't get me started on dodge

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Here is a quote from a former Ford tranny engineer on TDG...

Mark_K said:
To explain this you first need to know how a TorqShift works. It's a two transmissions in one case. There is a two speed in the front and a three speed in the rear. The two speeds times the three speeds gives six ratios. The "hidden" gear ratio can't be changed because it is a product of two other gears.

In the original design for this trans the hidden gear would never be used. This same design is used in the Explorer trans, but that software was written earlier than this one. That trans never uses the "hidden" ratio. The group I was in tried to get it added, but it was too much of a tear up to the software to do it. We made sure when they wrote the TorqShift software that it was there.

First gear has the front in 1:1 and the rear in 3.12:1. This gives an overall ratio of 3.12:1.

Second gear has the front shifted to 0.71: and the rear stays at 3.12:1. This gives the second gear ratio of 2.27:1.

Third gear has the front shifted back to 1:1 and the rear shifted to 1.54:1. The overall ratio is now 1.54:1.

Fourth is the "hidden" gear. This has the front shifted to 0.71:1 and the rear stays at 1.54:1. This gives a ratio of 1.09:1.

Fifth is direct drive. Both gearboxes are at 1:1.

Sixth is overdrive. The front shifts to 0.71:1 and the rear stays at 1:1, giving an overall ratio of 0.71:1.

There is no reason to use all six. Shifting 1.54:1 -> 1.09:1 -> 1:1 would not feel right or be useful, so the 1.09:1 is skipped.

At certain speeds in or out of tow/haul, the truck is going a little too fast for a kickdown form sixth to third gear. In this instance fourth gear (1.09:1) is used to give a bit more acceleration than fifth (1:1) gear. The next gear after fourth would be sixth. The trans NEVER will shift 4 -> 5 or 5 -> 4.

When the trans is colder than 0°F the 3 -> 5 shift is difficult to make. It's a long, complicated reason, but it boils down to things don't move so well when they are that cold. So what happens is the trans shifts 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4. Once it gets above 0°F it will shift 4 -> 6.

You won't have overdrive when the trans is below 0°F. I've started these at -35°F and it got above 0°F in less than two miles. And I never let it warm up at all. Start and drive.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Here is a quote from a former Ford tranny engineer on TDG...
wow, great info. Mark K is the man. He was able to give me some good insight on what I should do for my tranny delay.

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Its a 5 speed. It may sound like a shift but its the torque converter locking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts