Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has done this or know of any adapters to complete the job. If there a stand alone computer out there for this swap?:dunno:

Thanks

·
Registered
683 Posts
My friend put a factory tc behind a 7.3 and it blew apart in about 10 mins.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
i dont think it can be done. i could be wrong tho. they said a 6.0 turbo wouldnt work on a 7.3 and it does

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has done this or know of any adapters to complete the job. If there a stand alone computer out there for this swap?:dunno:

Thanks
Its not possible. No adapters available to do it.

My friend put a factory tc behind a 7.3 and it blew apart in about 10 mins.
Huh?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
i dont think it can be done. i could be wrong tho. they said a 6.0 turbo wouldnt work on a 7.3 and it does
Jeff if there were adapter plates available it could be done as long as you had a standalone trans controller.

The reason it hasnt been done is cost. A BTS built 4r100 is cheaper than the controller, adapter plate combo would be.

Also the built 4r100 is stronger than a factory 5r110

·
Registered
683 Posts
They took one from a 6.0 and put it in. It is an 02 with nos propane big turbo big injectors and tuned by Jody. Said the tourque hits at a dif time and it couldnt handle it.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Jeff if there were adapter plates available it could be done as long as you had a standalone trans controller.

The reason it hasnt been done is cost. A BTS built 4r100 is cheaper than the controller, adapter plate combo would be.

Also the built 4r100 is stronger than a factory 5r110
that makes sense :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
They took one from a 6.0 and put it in. It is an 02 with nos propane big turbo big injectors and tuned by Jody. Said the tourque hits at a dif time and it couldnt handle it.
Convertor or whole trans?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just seem to me that the 5r110 is a hell of lot better trans than the 4r100. I'm a Ford diesel tech and have seen very few torqshift go bad and alot of the old one.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I would go with a built John Woods or BTS 4R100 and be done with it. If I recall correctly the 5R110 is sensitive to power input and if not tuned properly to the input power it can destroy itself, even if its built.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks,
not for one of my own trucks. My brother in law's, he has a 00' 4 door long bed with 6" lift and 37" tires. We had installed a Banks torque converter and a 6.0 trans cooler and the trans temps still get to he when he pulls his 26' bumper pull toy hauler. He is leaning toward a standard swap but I keep trying to talk him out of it(don't get pissed 6 speed guys). If we could get a torque shift to work we would go that route. My old truck is a 97' w/standard and my new is a 05' with the torque shift and the new pulls my 30' fifth wheel toy hauler a hell of alot better than the old one..trans included!!

And yes the old one has almost as much work done to it as the newer one.

I also know the heat issue is from to high of gears caused from the larger tires. But you know:banging::banging::banging:http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/images/smilies/banging.gif

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The torque shift/5R110 trans is a whole different animal than the 4R100. It has a very complicated shift strategy that takes a lot of computer programming to run right. If someone were to offer a standalone controller to run the trans, it would be very, very expensive! I asked this question on FTE once and they guy who engineered both trannies responded and basically said what has already been said- get a quality built 4R because by the time you make a 5R work behind a 7.3 you'll have spent waaaaaaaaaaaaay more money doing it.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
except getting that 6.0 turbo to work right required lots of fabbing and a stand alone computer.
so in theory i guess you could do it. fab everthing. adapter plates, computer, the whole bit. then you sell your house, first-third born, and your soul. but your truck would pull great:hehe:

·
Registered
370 Posts
MILES97:

If you're just looking for extra gears my advice is to forget the expense and complexity of the swap (if it was easy or viable there would be lots of them now). Instead, have John Wood or BTS build your tranny and add a Gear Vendors unit. Those things are used in dragsters and can handle much more power, stock, than any built 5R110.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts