Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stumped. I pulled my 5R5110 to do a rear plate seal. After installing it and all of the housing bolts I proceeded to install and tighten the nuts for the flexplate/torque converter. First one never got tight so I moved on to the 2nd one and it tightened up fine. Moved on to the 3rd, 4th, 5th and they would never get tight either. I currently have 4 our of 6 that appear the nuts or the studs have stripped threads. I marked the studs and turned the nut. Nut turns but the stud does not. Most normal people would probably have stopped after 1 or 2 maybe even 3. Guess I am not normal and now I have 4 nuts that will not tighten or come off. To put it into prospective they never even began to get tight as I was using a small ratchet through the lower access hole and never took more than minor effort probably 10-15ft-lbs.

Is this a common issue?

I assume running with 2 out of 6 nuts tight will result in vibration and wearing of the mating parts and possible failure.

Now what? My thoughts are try and pull the transmission back far enough to get clearance between bell housing and engine and see if I can pry on the nuts while trying to loosen them and hope that the nuts stripped out.

Looking for any advice and hopefully someone who has experienced this and had a positive outcome!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Slide trans back, pry between tc and flywheel while loosening.
It's likely they actually stripped during removal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: fedspunisher

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How far can you slide the transmission before the torque converter comes out the front seal?

·
Registered
530 Posts
You're gonna need enough room to physically remove the tc, so I wouldn't be worried about it coming out of the seal.

Reactions: fedspunisher

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know what nuts I need to replace them assuming the studs are still okay.

Will I need to replace the seal due to removing the torque converter?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Seal should be fine.
I have no clue on the nut size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts