Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 717 Posts

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick glance after a WOT run. Thanks to Colin for the tutorial :thumb:

Will be adding more PIDs as I find them.

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an amazing tool... for about ONLY $30. I'm shocked at the power of this app. Compared to other gauges, so far, it's spot on and the real time effects are great. No lagging, immediate everything. What's cool is I took it to work in my Impala, used it under a different profile (these are all free) and utilized it to diagnose other vehicles that were throwing codes. I identified and opted to remove the codes (detailed explanations of codes made it known as to exactly what each code was) in their vehicles in under 30 seconds.

Now the 7.3 had a lot of available info and the Impalas had even more. Next is the wife's 2012 Explorer. Everything should be available to monitor in that thing since the technology is there. I might drop $25 just to get another OBD bluetooth to leave permanently mounted in another vehicle and transfer the app around my devices for free just because.

Just saying: it's a win/win for $30.

For this thread, I want members to be able to see what numbers we are making under certain conditions for comparison with their own. Plus, you can customize everything in this program so the photos posted can show others what potential they have.

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yessir. To include any shipping. It seems like there'd be a catch right? $5 for the app and $15-$25 for the OBD blutooth (depending on what brand you decide).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
how did you get the hpop, trans(mines blank), and EBP

didn't see those option on torque pro,

also i bought mine on ebay, was like $5 shipped from china, $10 all together

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There's a Ford specific PID bundle that you can load from the settings menu (courtesy of Colin). Once loaded, it has everything in there for our trucks. The only hangup is on certain items, what we call the HPOP (for example) they have labled as something else (cant remember off the top of my head) but when you find it, it loads as HPOP. Everything that is available from the PCM will light in green but to get everything available, the truck has to be on, otherwise the program sees that only certain PIDs are active and skips over a bunch.

I'll have to retrace what Colin and I went over earlier and edit this post to tell you step by step how to load the Ford specific package.

Boy howdy, I'm all about your pricing but in the whole "get what you pay for" aspect, I hope yours doesn't bite the dust for whatever reason.

Steps to unlock the Ford specific PIDs:

Open Torque

Once on the main screen, choose "Settings"

Scroll down to "Manage Extra PIDs/Sensors"

Select "Add Predefined Set"

Select your first option "Ford (Incl Powerstroke)"

Bam. Every PID specific to our trucks.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
also was your ebp showing triple digit when off?

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dang yours is pretty compact! Mine sticks out a little farther and I always worry about accidentally kicking or bumping it. Mine came with a disk too but I havent even looked at it. I have no clue what the EBP values are supposed to be but at WOT they were around 1000 and 430 sitting in the driveway.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
yeah i saw the bigger ones but some reason that mini blue one seemed cool, can barely even noticed it plugged in, but i unplug it when the truck is off so hopefully it will last a long
time. figured worst case, im out $10 if it goes bad

i did notice though it you try to pull codes while the engine is running it will kill the engine haha, not sure if that is normal or not, and my ebp was between 300 and 400 when off so i was just curious,

either way for anyone that doesn't have one, i recommend the torque app and obd2 adapter, figure after 4 or 5 trips to the parts store its paid for itself in gas savings to pull codes. i have at least 2 obdii cars in my driveway.

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Colin said he ran codes on his and it did the same thing. I inadvertently did the same tonight, forgetting what he said about his and the same thing happened. No codes or anything and starts right back up. I think he said he called the manufacturer and they advised that you have to use the fault codes check while sitting, key on, engine off (not the case on other vehicles).

·
Registered
248 Posts
AgTires, which OBDII Bluetooth connection did you get. I will say, though, that little blue looks pretttyyyyyy sick. But, maybe you know more about the app than alaskan, he seems like he's having some issues.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
oh ok,

also just found out there is a plugin on the market called torquescan, its a addon that shows even more PIDs, might play more with it tomorrow,

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This is the exact item I purchased (only I purchased from Amazon but their link will not load the item). I read great reviews and others here on the .org recommended it. It's a little longer than his and not as purdy but it's proven:

Elm327 Bluetooth OBD2 Reader for Android

Read the first FAQ in the link I posted :hehe:

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh ok,

also just found out there is a plugin on the market called torquescan, its a addon that shows even more PIDs, might play more with it tomorrow,
I also downloaded this (havent played with it yet). Extremely small file.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
AgTires, which OBDII Bluetooth connection did you get. I will say, though, that little blue looks pretttyyyyyy sick. But, maybe you know more about the app than alaskan, he seems like he's having some issues.
no issues, just still learning the app(it just has a wealth of information in it), haven't had much time to sit down and mess with it yet, my adapter pairs every time, and works flawlessly on my galaxy s3, all the gauges are in real time with no noticeable delay

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is the one I got.

BAFX Products (TM) - PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible : Amazon.com : Automotive

It had the highest rating with the most reviews on Amazon. It has worked flawlessly so far. Also used it to pull code on BIL's Focus. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these things used the same chip just packaged in a different case. Anyway, it is definitely sweet deal. Just need to buy a pyrometer and gauge and then I think I will be OK for tunes. I actually think I may have an extra K type digital reader/display at work so all I have to buy is the thermocouple. If anybody is on the fence about this I say it is a no brainer especially if you have other OBD cars.

Justin

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Has anybody tried this on an iPhone on curious bout it have have my cts and a snap on scanner I'd be really surprised if you could run cycl balance from a phone

·
Registered
221 Posts
Has anybody tried this on an iPhone on curious bout it have have my cts and a snap on scanner I'd be really surprised if you could run cycl balance from a phone
Unfortunatly the IOS does not support data stream from bluetooth so the cheap adapters and torque are not available to us, there is a similar app for the IOS but it requires a wifi OBD2 adapter which is much more expensive.

1 - 20 of 717 Posts