Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 F-250 4x4 with the 7.3L diesel. On the top of the bracket that holds the fuel filter is a wired connector. It's on the top left of the bracket as you are looking at the engine. When the engine is running it has diesel fuel coming out of it. Not a lot but a pretty steady drip. My problem is how do you take that off? I tried lightly prying on it but it doesn't want to pop up as if it had a post it fit on. I've removed the filter and unbolted the bracket. The only thing left was the connected wire. I was hoping there was a nut on the other side with a bad gasket. All I see is a big brass looking nut (which doesn't want to turn) and nothing on the other side of that connecter I can see.

I've been having trouble in the truck not starting up if it sits for more than a day so I thought maybe that was a leak that was causing it. Just don't know how to stop that from leaking. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There is a gasket under that connection. You are heading in the proper direction. You have to remove the filter and then remove the threading that the filter screws into. Once that drops you will have access to the o-ring that is bad.

Good Luck

Thad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I love my truck and it's been frustrating in it not starting!!! That was a beautiful truck btw!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Did you get it fixed? Note that the o ring is that you need to replace is sorta square....forgot that last night in the haze that was my thinking process.

And thanks.....I miss that rig tons!!! Oh well.

Thad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that wasn't fun. that filter holder piece was on there. I think I messed up that little silver looking pressure switch trying to get it out. Can you order those? Probably from Ford?

BTW the O-ring was round. I'd know how to get it out now. :>)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Really I wonder if yours was different due to it being an 88? Glad you got is worked out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured everything out. I'll have to order the fuel heater which is a $107 messup. But live and learn. And I found out there are 2 o-rings on there as well. 1 that is on the actual fuel heater and 1 that is on the plastic piece that the wired cap goes onto. I didn't see any sorta square o-ring. The only thing sorta square is the wired cap. Is there an o-ring inside of that cap as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am trying to do the same thing and change the orings. any way you can tell me exactly how you got the heater connection off so i don't vmake the same mistake you did. thanks in advanced. bulldog

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get it figured out. The connector on the top was just a pain to remove. Connector has been changed to something easier to remove next time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get it figured out. The connector on the top was just a pain to remove. Connector has been changed to something easier to remove next time.
Good idea! There are some o-rings inside the filter itself if that doesn't stop the leaking. And that is where I messed up. Let me know if you need any more info. I'll check this more frequently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good idea! There are some o-rings inside the filter itself if that doesn't stop the leaking. And that is where I messed up. Let me know if you need any more info. I'll check this more frequently.
Thanks. I replaced both of the orings and got it to seal. My leak is gone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ive got the same problem, but since im driving a van and its almost impossible to move my hands back by the filter, are there any tips/tricks that i could use to get it out? and what all will i need to replace (im still new to the diesel world). anything i should be careful of so i dont make any costly mistakes (full time student, not much cash)

thanks for any help!
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts