Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 f250 and am going to level it and put bilsteins on it. im thinking about doing the 2.5inch coil spring level for extra suspension performance??

wondering if anyone has an input good or bad on the top gunz level coil springs??

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Never heard any reviews on them. I hear the best reviews on Icon's 2.5" leveling system. You may want to consider bigger blocks in the rear if you do a 2.5" leveling kit. Your truck will squat big time with F-250 blocks and 2.5" added up front. Mine sits perfectly level with only 1" up front and F-250 blocks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Icon 2.5 springs and Fox remote res shocks. Great ride, better than just a spacer under stock spring. The Icon springs a progressive rate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed the top gunz 2.5 progressive coils and they are great. I also did Bilsteins all the way around. You will need to put a new block or add-a-leaf in the rear as it will sit nose high by about 1.25-1.5 inches. I went with a 4" tapered block and now it is basically level. Maybe 1/2 inch higher out back.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is the ride compared to stock?? In and off road??

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
How hard is it to install new springs, spaces, or blocks yourself. Can it be done with a jack and stands and a good set of tools or do you really need a lift?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The ride compared to stock is smoother. I installed the front portion a few weeks before I did the back. wasn't sure how much lift I would need. I haven't really done much true offroading. About 2k freeway and maybe 20-30 miles unpaved job-site terrain.

As for the install it wasn't so bad except for a few things. 1 jack-stands for these trucks are a ***** to find, so I cut some 4x12x12" sections of beam for base support. 2 none of the products I purchased came with directions but if you can use this site you can pretty much figure it out. I just downloaded icon or skyjacker, etc from the web. 3 you really should have a helper or two floor jacks. I had neither so it took me all day.

I also purchased the Icon adjustable track bar and its kind of all guess work as to weather you installed it correctly. What I mean is I'm not sure where to measure from to tell if you axle is centered??? Maybe I'm being to anal and just eyeballing it is fine. Also if you go with the adjustable track bar be aware you need to torque the top section to like 409ft lbs.

I hope all this helps. I'm totally new to this forum stuff and am kind of a little lost on computers.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have installed ALOT of lifts on trucks. You do not need a lift to install a lift kit. Its easier with a lift, but I have done it many times with out. Just make sure you have a good set of jack stands, a good jack. Soak all the bolts with pb blaster a day before you start the install and everything will come out smoothly. Front Coils will usually take me 45 min a side, and rear blocks take me 15 min a side.

If these do ride pretty good and they are a few hundered $$$ cheaper than the Icon kits, than I might be changing my mind on the kit I put on in the next 2 weeks

·
Registered
444 Posts
I intalled a 2.5" lift in my 350 with the spacers up front. Can i take oit my old factory coils and the spacers and just put these aftermarket coils in? Will it ride better?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Yes you can take out your spacers and factory coils and install these coils and get the same lift result. As for the ride of the new coils, that is still the great debate if they ride better than stock or not. They should ride better than stock since they are a progressive rate coil but its tough to say.

·
Registered
96 Posts
dose anyone know if the bilstein kit is considered a progressive rate spring???? lookin to order my leveling kit asap

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Check out Precision Metal Fab. Pricing is great and they have an awesome reputation. I am going with their 2.5" coil spring system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the 2.5 coils already and was wondering if I could also utilize a spacer for a cheap extra inch. I want to run 37"s and not sure if it will rub that bad. Don't know what problems might arise with doing that.

People keep questioning the ride quality with the progressive rate coils. Now I don't have any experience with any other brand other than the topgunz but it dampened bumps in the road quite a bit and now going 80-85 feels like 60. My wife always wanted to take her vehicle whenever we went out but now doesn't mind the truck. I did also did the Bilstein 5100 at the same time so that might have something to do with the ride. Also since I did this install I now experience the, "bump steer, Death wobble" what ever you want to call it. Thought I had read that the adjustable track bar would hinder that. Maybe i installed that wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
If your looking for an extra inch up front, go with Icon's TEI spacer. It mounts under the spring perch instead of on top of the coil.

I believe the best way to correct bump steer and death wobble are to add a dual steering stabilizer and do adjustable link arms, which replace your stock radius arms. I am surprised you have death wobble though. I did BDS's 4" kit on my truck last year with no dual steering stabilizer or change to the radius arms and I had no death wobble. I did, however, have quite a bit of travel in the front....which I believe is bump steer.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Never heard any reviews on them. I hear the best reviews on Icon's 2.5" leveling system. You may want to consider bigger blocks in the rear if you do a 2.5" leveling kit. Your truck will squat big time with F-250 blocks and 2.5" added up front. Mine sits perfectly level with only 1" up front and F-250 blocks.
Old thread but where did you get the 1 inch spacer for the front from?

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
The Carli or Icon Springs ride excellent, especially when paired with a higher end shock like Bilstein, King, or Icon. As previously mentioned, you will want to add a 4" block to the rear if you have a F250 to give it the leveled look.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The Carli or Icon Springs ride excellent, especially when paired with a higher end shock like Bilstein, King, or Icon. As previously mentioned, you will want to add a 4" block to the rear if you have a F250 to give it the leveled look.
My truck is currently 1.5 inches lower in the front than it is in the back. It is an f250. Looking for an inch or 1.5 inch spacer so that I do not have to go with bigger blocks in the back.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
readylift makes a 1.5'' spacer.... I have it on my truck, it goes under the spring instead of on top.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey Nate. I emailed you today regarding a kit on your site. Can you provide some information? thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts