Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I stated in my last thread, I am a new powerstroke owner. Anyways when I changed my oil, I also used a lower unit quart pump to change the oil in the hpop. According to PSH it helps extend the life of the injectors.

Just out of curiosity does anyone else do this routinely?

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
It doesn't help the injectors particularly. As said, it's all the same oil. But that means that that old oil in the HPOP res mixes in with your new oil as soon as you start the truck after an oil change. So the one purpose served by changing it is to get one more quart of old oil out at each oil change. Your call, whether it's worth the extra 3 minutes. It helps, just not in the way that "clueless Bill" thinks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
you just started another "chicken or the egg" argument.. personally - i pump mine out every oil change beause it literlly takes 3 minutues to do, ( i use a cheap oil extractor) and you will find people on here, and in youtube videos that will tell you it made a difference in their trucks.

likewise - you will find people on here that say it makes no difference at all.

here is one persons video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNPPW83iaV4&feature=related

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
If anything my guess would be the dude mixed up which was which during that test. I just can't think of a reason where the oil that is in the hpop is thicker than the crank oil. It should all be the same, or at the least the hpop oil would be less viscous due to shearing.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If anything my guess would be the dude mixed up which was which during that test. I just can't think of a reason where the oil that is in the hpop is thicker than the crank oil. It should all be the same, or at the least the hpop oil would be less viscous due to shearing.
my GUESS would be that given enough time, the heavier oil collects in the bottom of the reservior. basically, as if you tried to mix oil and water. (or oil and vinegar salad dressing) the heavier one will migrate towards the bottom, while the thinner - more free flowing stuff is what gets circulated more easily.

again - im not an expert, im not a sciencetist either. but when someone spends their life working of the same type of engines over and over, my feeling is that they tend to know a few things, and im willing to listen when they speak.

even if it makes no differece at all - IF NOTHING ELSE - its one more quart of old oil to get rid of during an oil change, and i dont need to lay on back to get it.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
It serves no measurable benefit. I do it because I have a vacuum pump system that I use, and it is real easy to do. Takes 5 extra minutes. My oil does stay a little more golden a little longer, but I know it won't make my injectors last longer.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
^^^^^ Correct; the purpose is to have cleaner oil, if only by a little bit (1 qt / 15), for the whole engine; we seem, as owners of HEUI engines, to focus on the importance of the hydraulic quality of our oil, and tend to forget that it also is the main crankcase lube, just like any other engine. The notion of any benefit specifically to the injection system is just another of Bill's giggle-test moments.

As for that "oil analysis" video, that difference could be for any number of reasons; maybe at the moment one sample is warmer than the other, or the crankcase sample came from just when he started to drain it, or maybe it was the last bit drained. I bet if both were subjected to a true chemical UOA, they'd reveal little if any difference. Blackstone Labs instructs you to take your sample from the "middle" of the drain-out, not right when you remove the plug, and not right when the last bit is running out.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
my GUESS would be that given enough time, the heavier oil collects in the bottom of the reservior. basically, as if you tried to mix oil and water. (or oil and vinegar salad dressing) the heavier one will migrate towards the bottom, while the thinner - more free flowing stuff is what gets circulated more easily.

again - im not an expert, im not a sciencetist either. but when someone spends their life working of the same type of engines over and over, my feeling is that they tend to know a few things, and im willing to listen when they speak.

even if it makes no differece at all - IF NOTHING ELSE - its one more quart of old oil to get rid of during an oil change, and i dont need to lay on back to get it.
I didn't even contemplate that. It seems like a possible theory. I just run the 2 quart elf7405, so that additional quart of oil is too much hassle for me as 4 gals=full change. I guess I should change it sometime and see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts