Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried the top end oil change yet ?I tried it today, well I started it but rain stopped me. I was going to just keep taking out and putting in until I used the whole gallon of oil. I was a little concerned though, in total i pulled out 1.5 quarts but ended up putting 2 in. I checked my dipstick both at the beginning and the end, same. didn't bother to check the level in the top before, made sure it was filled in the end though. Anybody had this experience, think I might have been low in the top. Also oil smelt burnt, my dipstick oil smells brand new.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Never even heard of this. What is exactly involved. Being the truck holds 15 quarts of oil. You used a gallon of oil but you only pulled out 1.5 quarts and ended up putting in 2 quarts. This all doesn't make sense to me at all.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The guy has a pretty good idea...There's 3 quarts of oil we're not changing when we do maintenance... I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, but he has logical reasoning behind doing it

·
Registered
444 Posts
would this actually help any or is it just bs???

·
Registered
82 Posts
Never heard of that before, but he makes it look real good.

I just changed my oil about 400 miles ago. I have a vacuum pump and a isolation bottle already built for my hvac work. This weekend I will pull out the oil from the reservoir on top and compare it too the oil from my engine pan. I will try to post pics from my results.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
yeah i watched that video the other day. never knew i had to do that. has anyone done this before as a routine maintenance? maybe a tech on here will know if this is important?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I would argue that the 3 quarts does get changed. He stated in the first video it does mix in with the regular engine oil. So it maybe every other oil change but that oil still gets changed.

Remember that the low end oil supplies the hpop with oil on these engines. Also to make this affective you would have to do this at the same time you change the low end oil.

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
I would argue that the 3 quarts does get changed. He stated in the first video it does mix in with the regular engine oil. So it maybe every other oil change but that oil still gets changed.

Remember that the low end oil supplies the hpop with oil on these engines. Also to make this affective you would have to do this at the same time you change the low end oil.
I think the he is probaly right. With your logic Big it would be the same as changing your oil and then topping off with 3 quarts of used oil. Because just draining the oil does not clear the upper. It would take several oil changes to clear the upper and you would still have old oil in the upper. I'm not trying to argue, I'm saying it seems it would be the best idea to change the upper and lower at the same time every time.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I think the he is probaly right. With your logic Big it would be the same as changing your oil and then topping off with 3 quarts of used oil. Because just draining the oil does not clear the upper. It would take several oil changes to clear the upper and you would still have old oil in the upper. I'm not trying to argue, I'm saying it seems it would be the best idea to change the upper and lower at the same time every time.
Thats basically what I was saying choctaw. But even then you still have contaminents in the oil pan and in the hpop system. You would have to do alot of flushing to remove all that. I mean ok 3 quarts of oil, how many flushings would it take before all that used oil residue is removed. I would guess that would be alot of oil wasted just for the flushing to obtain 100% contaminate free oil system.

I do understand what he is saying. But unless you have the electric vaccuum pump it would be awful hard on your hand trying to use a hand vaccuum pump. By the time your done you would need to see an orthopedist for carpal tunnel syndrome.

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
I do understand what he is saying. But unless you have the electric vaccuum pump it would be awful hard on your hand trying to use a hand vaccuum pump. By the time your done you would need to see an orthopedist for carpal tunnel syndrome.
:hehe::hehe: I agree completely, in a perfect world......Right.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I still dont get it. If the oil is sucked from the pan and put in the HPOP res then passed through the pump and injectors then the oil returns to the pan. the "top" end is not a closed system. that oil leaves the "top" gets to the bottom then mixes with the 15 qts there then gets fed to the top again. now if it takes 5000 miles to empty what is there, then yes i agree, it should be changed. anyone know how often the "top" oil circulates?

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is BS. The high pressure oil system is an OPEN loop hydraulic circut. This means that the oil is constantly feed up from LPOP to HPOP and forced through high pressure oil rails and dumped back to pan. If this was a closed loop system (like a log splitter for example) that uses the same oil in a closed loop then this would help. It would be better, and I have heard of poeple doing this, to change oil and then run it for an hour or two and drain it. Then refill and go. This helps to "wash out the residual oil in the HPOP and system.
I have heard of this helping with cold starts but with oil as high as it is I won't be wasting it. LOL

I have 270,000 miles on all eight stock injectors. Starts fine still.

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
I see both sides of this but the guy does seem to know his stuff. I'm due for an oil change in the next couple weeks and I'll do the HPOP + Reg change and see if I notice a difference.

·
Registered
659 Posts
This is BS. The high pressure oil system is an OPEN loop hydraulic circut. This means that the oil is constantly feed up from LPOP to HPOP and forced through high pressure oil rails and dumped back to pan. If this was a closed loop system (like a log splitter for example) that uses the same oil in a closed loop then this would help. It would be better, and I have heard of poeple doing this, to change oil and then run it for an hour or two and drain it. Then refill and go. This helps to "wash out the residual oil in the HPOP and system.
I have heard of this helping with cold starts but with oil as high as it is I won't be wasting it. LOL

I have 270,000 miles on all eight stock injectors. Starts fine still.
i agree, even he said, you ever wonder why the oil gets black right when you start the engine after a oil change that right there is enough said the oil is always circulating you do not need to change top oil it is just a waste of time.but i must say my oil always stays clean because i change it often.i never get black oil.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I see both sides of this but the guy does seem to know his stuff. I'm due for an oil change in the next couple weeks and I'll do the HPOP + Reg change and see if I notice a difference.
I would just do a normal oil change with filter and then run it for an hour or two and then drain it and replace it. There was a PS guru in Kansas that did this until the oil was clean, he swears by it for problem injectors before he replaces them.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
thats seems pricey.

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
I would just do a normal oil change with filter and then run it for an hour or two and then drain it and replace it. There was a PS guru in Kansas that did this until the oil was clean, he swears by it for problem injectors before he replaces them.
I'm not gonna waste 4 gallons of oil when I could TRY this and only waste 3 quarts. My oil has been changed religously since day one when my dad bought it new every 3,000 miles and I just want to try this and see if it makes the oil stay cleaner any longer who knows it might be a waste of time but I'll give a shot and see. I have NO starting or injector issues just thought I'd try it and see how that oil looks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm not gonna waste 4 gallons of oil when I could TRY this and only waste 3 quarts. My oil has been changed religously since day one when my dad bought it new every 3,000 miles and I just want to try this and see if it makes the oil stay cleaner any longer who knows it might be a waste of time but I'll give a shot and see. I have NO starting or injector issues just thought I'd try it and see how that oil looks.
I think both are a waste of time and money, but let me know if it helps out. There may be something to it???

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.