Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where do I get the tool to remove the fuel lines on my 02 7.3 or is there a way to do it without the tool

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Autopart store usually have them in stock.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
You should be able to get a universal kit of a bunch for like $10.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is one instance where I actually advocate getting it from the dealer's parts counter. I just went through this with mine; I'm replacing both hard and flex lines. The only reason I pulled both was due to only being able to separate the flex lines from the pump side (along the frame rail). The connectors under the front of the engine were just too hard to get apart, mainly due to cheap parts store tools (bought both the metal and plastic "universal" kit that "universally" doesn't fit anything in the truck). The Ford tool should work without issue.

BTW: It should be size "E" or "F" but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
This is one instance where I actually advocate getting it from the dealer's parts counter. I just went through this with mine; I'm replacing both hard and flex lines. The only reason I pulled both was due to only being able to separate the flex lines from the pump side (along the frame rail). The connectors under the front of the engine were just too hard to get apart, mainly due to cheap parts store tools (bought both the metal and plastic "universal" kit that "universally" doesn't fit anything in the truck). The Ford tool should work without issue.

BTW: It should be size "E" or "F" but not 100% sure.
WELL that's the kit I was talking about lol! Proven wrong. :thumb:

·
Registered
370 Posts
WELL that's the kit I was talking about lol! Proven wrong. :thumb:
Yeah, I ran into this years ago with my 95 T-Bird fuel filter; probably went through 4 sets of cheap tools before going to Napa and getting a good set. This time I fell for the price and bought the metal "plier" looking disconnect tool. When it wouldn't fit around the bend on the return line (comming from the fuel bowl to the flex line) I retuned it and got the plastic ones. After several unsuccessful attempts went back and bought the same metal ones I had just returned, and still no luck. Finally said screw it and unhooked from the pump side. As I later found out the front connectors were gummed up due to years of salt belt abuse and only a good quality tool was going to get it apart.

The real fun part was trying to get the still connected lines up the front of the engine (with the clips still in place); they wouldn't clear what I'm assuming is part of the HPOP oiling system. I finally resorted to the hacksaw; even cut apart they still fought me for another 5 minutes before surrendering. I'll get some pics up later of the carnage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts