Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I need to replace the fuel filter in a 2000 7.3L powerstroke, but I can not turn the lid by hand and the original OEM lid has no depression in the center for a socket wrench. The lid has raised ribs like spokes on a wheel and depressions around the outer diameter. Does Ford require some sort of special "spanner" type tool to remove this lid design? Any suggestions for a DIY home made tool or scheme I can try to get this lid turning? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
What about just using a chisel and a hammer to get it to spin? Thats what i've done on every 7.3 fuel filter that is that way. Just give it a few taps and it should loosen up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try your oil filter wrench or a strap wrench. You can also use a pair of pliers upside down between the ribs and then use a screwdriver between the handles.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Im sure this is too late but i just took needle nose pliers and opened them up and put a jaw on each side and used that kinda as a screw driver, that way theres no force of a hammer coming down and the force is applied evenly on the fuel bowl rather than a one sided force

1 - 7 of 7 Posts