Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will my brother and i took the silencor ring off mine and his turbo. th hardest part of the whole thing was the bottom to bolts cause of the wires and intake manifold but we got it done figured my truck is done for a few days cause of the ficm so i took advantage of it heres two pictures of my turbo with and with out ring

with ring

with out ring

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
What was the procedure? We looked at doing it on my truck the last time I messed with injectors, but it seemed like the ring was actually part of the turbo housing.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
how much louder is the turbo

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing...my trucks already a straight piped '03 so my turbo is already insanely loud, just wondering how much louder this would make it...

·
Hate stupid people
8,586 Posts
now come on Ben, no need to blow peoples ear drums whenever your jet takes off :hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
now come on Ben, no need to blow peoples ear drums whenever your jet takes off :hehe::hehe:
hahaha...funny you say that, I got a dirty look from a Sheriff last night when he was next to me at the stoplight and it turned green lol. He gave me a dirty look then rolled up his window!

·
Hate stupid people
8,586 Posts
hahahahaha, well congrats ben, you just became Public Enemey #1 your a menice to society

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when the truck is coming at you you can tell its noticably louder and inside the cab its alot but it didnt reallly do nothing on the exhaust side

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I saw on another thread where this was done but no one wanted to try it. How did it do for every thing else, Boost,Surge etc...:dunno:

·
Registered
200 Posts
You call that a silencer ring but it actually guides the air in to you turbo. You might have made it louder but it is also less efficient. The air needs to hit the impeller correctly or your turbo is just working harder to get the required amount of air through it. The turbulance created also could cause premature wear on your turbo causing it to eat itself.

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
You call that a silencer ring but it actually guides the air in to you turbo. You might have made it louder but it is also less efficient. The air needs to hit the impeller correctly or your turbo is just working harder to get the required amount of air through it. The turbulance created also could cause premature wear on your turbo causing it to eat itself.
:nod::nod::nod::thumb:

·
Registered
370 Posts
But, then why does Elite do it to all of their turbos?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just read through this post, and ive never heard of doing this, what s the advantage of doing this ?
Louder turbo whistle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There are some engineers out there that spent countless hours desiging that ring. I dont think it would be there if it was not needed. I think you just cut up a pair of $1300 turbos for no reason.

·
Registered
200 Posts
But, then why does Elite do it to all of their turbos?
I honestly would not have the first clue. I wish I could say that they had re-engineered it but I would highly doubt it. I am sure the design time and testing would cost a fortune.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
No I think it is actually beneficial.

This is the same situation as to blowing up a water tube to be pulled behind a boat.

Using an air compressor. When I put the nosel inside the hole it will fill up with air. When I put the nosel 3" away from the hole but still pointing towards it, the compressed air is grabing air around it(drags near by air), filling it up faster.

This is the same thing as the turbo. The sides are now open to on the turbine(air compressor nozzle) alowing the main intake air to pull the side air (drag near by air).

·
Registered
758 Posts
now im a fan of f16 sounding trucks but to me taking a grinder to a $1000+ turbo to make it louder just sounds like a dumb a$$ idea, not tryin to start a problem thats just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts