Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have looked and read this site and others trying to find out. My questions, how much boost is too much. How far can I go before one of the heads come off? I have a 99 F350 4X4 auto, BHAF, 5'' turbo back, Diablo Sport Preadator and manual gauges. My boost gauge only regatures to 35lb. When I get on the pedal I peg the gauge at 35lb. So I'm not sure how far past that I'm getting. I have found a lot of discussion about boost pressure but not what is too much. My turbo and waste gate are stock to. Thanks for the help. :dunno:

·
Registered
39 Posts
your stock turbo and wastegate shouldnt be able to hit past 27-28 psi. is your gauge broken...:dunno: i think its once you hit 40 psi you need new head studs but not sure. you would also need a new turbo to hit that 40 psi

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
With custom tunes you would see those numbers plus some... But i think if you keep it around 35 you will be fine... how fast does it peg when you really get on it? You could have a faulty gauge (by the way boost gauges are the cheapest gauge out of the bunch so if you wanted one that went to like 50psi that might be the answer)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think the gauge is broken. The gauges are from Autometer I bought them new in Dec. when I got the truck. It pegs the gauge extreamly quick when I get on it hard. I guess I need to look at a bigger gauge. I have been told that 42psi on a Cummins is the break point. My buddy has his Dodge programed to defuel at 40psi and it makes that number with a stock turbo. Is there a lot of difference in the turbos? I will try to get a pic or video of it pegged and post it up. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I don't think the gauge is broken. The gauges are from Autometer I bought them new in Dec. when I got the truck. It pegs the gauge extreamly quick when I get on it hard. I guess I need to look at a bigger gauge. I have been told that 42psi on a Cummins is the break point. My buddy has his Dodge programed to defuel at 40psi and it makes that number with a stock turbo. Is there a lot of difference in the turbos? I will try to get a pic or video of it pegged and post it up. Thanks.
A cummins engine will make much more boost much easier than a powerstroke... But with your stock injectors and stock turbo you shouldnt be seeing numbers near 40 at all...

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Ok I have looked and read this site and others trying to find out. My questions, how much boost is too much. How far can I go before one of the heads come off? I have a 99 F350 4X4 auto, BHAF, 5'' turbo back, Diablo Sport Preadator and manual gauges. My boost gauge only regatures to 35lb. When I get on the pedal I peg the gauge at 35lb. So I'm not sure how far past that I'm getting. I have found a lot of discussion about boost pressure but not what is too much. My turbo and waste gate are stock to. Thanks for the help. :dunno:
Your boost #s sound about right for your mods..about the same set-up as mine..I run the same programmer and depending on which tunes I have hit 36 to 38 in the past.I changed the files and dropped it back to 26 to 28Lbs boost.I have heard that 40 is about as high as you want to go without studs on these engines.
What revision are you running on the programmer?It will tell you when the programmer is booting up..IE..9R04

1 - 6 of 6 Posts