Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a soft tonneau cover with a 5th wheel stlye tailgate ? or no tailgate ? What brand or style is it ?

I do tow a trailer, so a topper cap or hardside cover are not possible. They are too heavy and too much hassle to take on and off.

I just want to be able to cover the bed from the weather on the highway and keep some cargo relatively dry ...

Oh yeah, and keep it cheap ... ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I haven't had one on my last 2 trucks, but my 95 F150 had one, and if I was hauling something long with the gate off or down generally speaking stuff rear of the wheel wells would still get wet from spray even with the cover on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had a mopar brand on my dodge, worked great in the heat, but the winter time sucked. The button snaps were a pain in cold weather and thte top did not stretch unless it was warm. I know there are folding hard tops which may be an option, however if you go soft top stay away from the button snaps and vinyl cover. I think some of the newer ones have a hard plastic strip on the side as well as a treated fabric top. Hope this helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All that info helps !!!

Brown Crew

:nod:

·
Registered
176 Posts
what about truxedo?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I actually have a cheap snap-style soft tonneau cover from a lengbed Chevy ... it fits... well enough. I haven't had any problems with it, but you can definately tell the front of bed width and rear of bed width difference, cause the Chevy beds are straight. I think my dad got it for like ... $25 at a garage sale! no rips, nothing. just had to get clamps. I haven't had it on for a while from haulin scrap. But I use it to keep stuff dry and more importantly keepin my 5th wheel rails from starting to rust. I've also got an aluminum topper that my dad also got from a guy at work who was planning on scrapping it. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well you do get what you pay for w/ these things. I had a cheap snap on one and it leaked and lost tension so the middle started flapping up and down while on the highway. I bought one from Access-Covers and it's all made in the USA and it's NICE. I really like it so far. You can adjust the tension and it doesn't leak hardly at all. I also gained over 1 mpg with the cover vs no cover.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Well you do get what you pay for w/ these things. I had a cheap snap on one and it leaked and lost tension so the middle started flapping up and down while on the highway. I bought one from Access-Covers and it's all made in the USA and it's NICE. I really like it so far. You can adjust the tension and it doesn't leak hardly at all. I also gained over 1 mpg with the cover vs no cover.
Unless you get a STEAL like I did. It only flaps a little in the summer, not an annoying amount though. But in the winter I don't dare unsnap it cause i won't be able to get it back on lol! And like I said, it doesn't leak. And for $25, not bad at all.

The topper does leak, it's got a couple holes in it that I could just fill with JB or somethin. It aint bad. It's for an OBS though, WHICH for anyone that was wondering... OBS topper doesn NOT fit perfect on a SuperDuty. It'll fit... but not that good, it hangs over the sides in the back. If I get sick of it I can just bust the windows out of it and scrap it.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts

There's my super cheap topper. I have to take the tailgate cap off for it to fit. That's why you see red (guy smashed the original tailgate when he dropped a 5th wheel on the bed, see the crushed bedside, and it was red. he did a terrible job of painting it)

Sorry I don't have a pic of my tonneau cover dude.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No doubt that statement is true ! ... :wink[3]:

In my case, I will probably only use the cover a few times, that is why I am searching for a cheap solution. Other than the blue tarp flappin' in the breeze !

:rofl:

:hehe:

I mostly prefer my truck topless ... :look:

BC

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
No doubt that statement is true ! ... :wink[3]:

In my case, I will probably only use the cover a few times, that is why I am searching for a cheap solution. Other than the blue tarp flappin' in the breeze !

:rofl:

:hehe:

I mostly prefer my truck topless ... :look:

BC
How cheap? I think my dad has another longbox chevy one. I dunno if he'll sell it, and I don't know how good it is. I know it doesn't have holes or anything, but it's DEFINATELY cheap. And snap style. Better than a tarp though LOL!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I just got a downy products tonneau from truckaddons.com and it works great. I do have a tailgate on though. I got it shipped to my door for $220.00. I got it super fast too. Have any questions just look at the website.

Josh

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run a Truxedo Lopro cover on my '05. I've had it on for 3yrs. It works great. It supports 3' of wet snow without a problem.

I build furniture and cabinets, and have to go 100 miles for decent wood and prices. In western Washington, that means a lot of driving in the rain. With the tonneau cover sealed and the stock tailgate inplace, the wood doesn't get wet.

When I tow my fifthwheel, the cover rolls up to the front of the box and secures with a couple of straps. As soon as I disconnect from the trailer, the tonneau cover gets rolled out and secured. All items that I'm hauling are 0ut-of-sight-out-of-mind.

I do have a steel fifthwheel tail gate, that I used for a few months with the tonneau cover. The back third of the bed would get wet. I removed and stored the fifthwheel tail gate as I didn't find it overly useful for anything other than hitching up. I couldn't sit on it or use it for a work bench as I can with the stock tailgate. I also didn't see any mpg advantage while using it over the stock tailgate. I have noticed approx. 1 mpg increase while using the tonneau cover.

If I remember correctly, I paid around $380 w/shipping for the cover.

Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts