Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 F250 which I drive only in the summer and even then not that much. Just coming up on 20,000 miles. Recently when you accelersate to between 20 and 40 MPH and let off the accelerator quickly, it sounds like air coming out of a bladder. I took it to a Ford dealer and they said it had to do with the turbo, and that it was fine to drive as is, but if I wanted to make the noise stop, I would need to replace the turbo which they were prepared to do for $2,000 or so. I would appreciate any thoughts on the cause and perhaps a less expensive solution.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
That sound is normal to hear when you have built boost and suddenly drop the Throttle...
These trucks do not have a blow off valve and there is no place to "release" built up pressure. Thus the sound.

BUT, If you barely drive the thing Can I ask, do you drive it like you stole it sometimes or very camly all the time?
The VGT turbo needs to be excersized weekly (Full boost/throttle run on the highway) to clean out the turbo from built up soot/rust/debris!

You need to work that turbo to keep it running at its full potential. Or if you don't you will clog up the viens in the turbo.
Also, DO NOT just replace the turbo... 99% of the time all it needs is to be taken apart and cleaned up. :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it

Good advice. I do drive it tamely
I will jump on it for a few days to see if
That eases the noise and if not will pursue
Having the turbo cleaned. Thanks
I will let you know the outcome

1 - 3 of 3 Posts