Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I live in the Central Michigan area and I am considering opening a diesel repair shop. I have owned and (still do) several diesel trucks ranging from a large body International, a couple chevy's both turbo and non and my favorite truck of all, my 04' 4 door king ranch dually with the infamous months of the dreaded 6.0 (fixed now with over 214k miles).

My question/request is:

Is there are members here that would and could give me some advice/insight into opening a diesel center I would greatly appreciate it! It seems to me that there is VERY few shops around (my area) that have any kind of knowledge/experience with diesels both in trucks and in equipment. I really love my diesels and would like to carry that further into a business.

Any help/advice is much appreciated and thank you for reading.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
do you have tools and a shop? its wroth a shot

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Just getting your 1st customer will be the hardest part. Just always make the customer happy is my advise. You know if you do good work you got a 50/50 chance they will tell somebody else to give you a try but if you do bad work you got about a 98% chance they are going to bash you some how.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Having the knowledge and tools is a must, but I think your love for diesels in general is the most important. If you start a business doing something you love, I think you'll want to work twice as hard to get it going and make it work. I think honesty and fairness is important to keeping and ultimately gaining new customers. Just remember, no one got anywhere by being scared. :thumb:

1,023 Posts
I own just about every tool needed for a 6.0, some important ones for the 6.4 that i almost always use, and if you want to work on 7.3s all youll need is the high pressure oil line fitting tool and rear main seal installer. top side creepers are awesome saves you from laying on top of a hot engine getting burns everywhere like i used to.

Best advice i can give is to charge 1hr diag and take your time to figure out what is causing the truck to run the way it does and if you can get ahold of an IDS and VCM DO IT! that will be the next thing i buy.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
:welcome1:

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Go for it!!! Really Good Diesel Mechanics are to few and far between if you ask me!!! Good Luck and let us know your progress.
Larry...:icon_ford:

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Welcome to the ORG!

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts