Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is the progression of my truck to give you all a little background. I bought the truck 100% stock and was satisfied with that for a very brief period.
My first suspension mod was a pair of F350 rear blocks which of course didn't change the ride any just raised the rear a little. Let me also add that stock my truck sat almost level so I don't know if the rear leafs were wore out or what.

My second mod was a pair of ready lift 1.5" under spring spacers. Again this didn't alter the ride just hiked the front end up a little. Shortly after installing this I started having the "death wobble." I had almost everything on the front end replaced including tires and adding an $800 adjustable track bar with heim joints on both ends. Only after adding dual stabilizers did the wobble stop. I hated the way the truck drove with this track bar but lived with it for a long time.

Third step was a rancho 4" lift kit that included new radius arms, not drop brackets, and RS9000XL shocks. Once I finally got the lift installed the front end was about 1.5" higher than the back which made me again think that my rear springs were worn out. I didn't want to get a bigger block because the one that came with the kit was almost 5" anyway so I got a procomp add a leaf. Now the truck looks great (to me) but man I'm telling you I was in it for 13 hours yesterday and it just seemed to beat me to death. I run the shocks set at 3 up front and 0 in the back. When you go over a bump on the highway you can see the front end continue to travel up and down several times so I set the shock a little firmer to a 5.

I contacted deaver springs and they told me that they would make me a new set of leafs with the appropriate lift I needed that would make the truck ride like a dream for $950. I told you all this to ask you this, should I cut my losses and return to stock or do you think some new rear springs would significantly improve the ride quality and mind you I know it's not going to ride like a Lincoln but I would just like it to ride at least as good as a Cadillac.... just kidding but a stock ride would be nice.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot this option... take out the add a leaf and get a set of PMF traction blocks.

·
Administrator
31,444 Posts
Deavers are nice
I bought a used set /rebuilt them/ put em on /and they were sagged LOL

anyway Deaver was cool and offered to do a new set like your after //

I still think your springs are fine (sagging OEM is hard ) I would pull the add a leaf and go with a PMF traction block it will ride better than any arched spring

also I like the 9000 xl's myself

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not want to go higher. So you think the traction block will ride better than a full new set of deavers. The traction blocks would be a little cheaper and I guess I would need to go with the 6-8" block. I wonder if I do all this and then the front end still rides like crap.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used to have a 2wd dodge that would float like that on the front end. would do the constant bounce after a bump. I put all types of shocks on it and never got it fixed just lived with it till i traded it off. my next step was going to be either new coil springs, or the air bag insert things.

·
Administrator
31,444 Posts
IDK why your front would be harsh .. like mentioned you didn't change the spring rate

but Even though Deaver and the Deaver Carli springs are the best .. I still think with the arch they may ride harsher ,,

I am not a fan of blocks at all ,, so if Money is not an issue I would try the Deavers .. they use thinner leafs but more of them and taper the ends /have more antifriction pads and a great retention system not to mention a military wrap

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I thought I heard the rancho springs are real stiff?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
the rancho springs are stiff. They will ride rougher than for instance an Icon spring or any other progressive rate spring in the front. The add a leaf Im sure is making the rear ride like hell, so I would look into either of the options you have listed. I have never lifted a super duty beyond a leveling kit so Im not sure how harsh the ride would be with either.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may just return to stock and sell the lift kit.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the rancho springs are stiff. They will ride rougher than for instance an Icon spring or any other progressive rate spring in the front. The add a leaf Im sure is making the rear ride like hell, so I would look into either of the options you have listed. I have never lifted a super duty beyond a leveling kit so Im not sure how harsh the ride would be with either.
are they stiffer than stock?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'd buy the lift kit! Just saying!

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
138 Posts
Subscribed

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my main concern is that I get new springs and the truck still rides like hell. I think this week I'm going to take the AAL's back off and see how it rides. If it's better Ill either get some springs or the PMF's trac blocks if it's not I'll most likely return to stock and live with that.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
sounds like a good idea to me. I would hate to see you have a bad taste for lifted superdutys. They can ride really nice lifted, better than stock even, but that often times comes with a price.

·
Registered
544 Posts
my main concern is that I get new springs and the truck still rides like hell. .
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It is a truck, if your looking for a car like ride perhaps you should consider a car.

There is a science of suspension design and with enough money you can design a custom setup that will do what you want to a point. Just add $$$$$$$ and time and you should get close.
Off the shelf items are designed for a broad range of applications and lift kits have to incorporate some degree of orignial spec's to them to keep the truck within the Manufactures specs.

Suggest that you chat with folks that build off road suspensions and see what they suggest to get you to where you want to be. Rancho, Skyjacker etc are nto what I am talking about, Try Pure performance, CT perfomance and the like. CT is very good at answering questions and building rigs. Drop Cary a line.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I guess you missed the part where I said all I'm looking for is a close to stock ride. I don't want to talk to Cary because all he recommends is 4 links and I don't want or need that. I'm going to take the add a Leafs off and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Did not miss that part, but you did bring up the Lux car ride comparison.

The 4 link system will not give you a better ride, spring rates and shock dampening will. What I have found with Front four-link systems is it give you a more secure feeling and much less caster change over bumps.

I have chatted with Cary at lenght on suspension issues, he never recmmended a 4 link to me just answered my questions on setup and specific equipment options.

Overall he is a valuable resource with lifted rigs IMHO.

When messing with suspensions on heavy vehicles there are no quick fixes in other than return to stock. There are companies out there that will lead you to belive that there equipment is.

If you are just looking for a smooth ride and not carry or tow anything; re-ach the rear springs remove the load leaf and go with a progressive rate coil up front. Replace the shocks with a stronger dampening and rebound rate and Swap out the Heavy duty tires with a lighter load range. Your empty ride will be amazing.

Just one note don't tow or carry anything bigger than a six-pac.

If you still intend to use your truck experiment with Tire pressure, shocks valving and look at variable rate or progressive rate springs.

Some times the stock stuff works best for the cost....

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was joking about the luxury car.
The problem with the RS9000XL adjustable shock is your only able to adjust the compression so if you set them at let's say a 3 they bounce all over the place. The only way to get them to stop is to set them firmer on the front. I think I'm running 5 front and 0 rear. My tire pressure is 55 rear 65 front.

·
Vendor
2,932 Posts
Well here is the progression of my truck to give you all a little background. I bought the truck 100% stock and was satisfied with that for a very brief period.
My first suspension mod was a pair of F350 rear blocks which of course didn't change the ride any just raised the rear a little. Let me also add that stock my truck sat almost level so I don't know if the rear leafs were wore out or what.

My second mod was a pair of ready lift 1.5" under spring spacers. Again this didn't alter the ride just hiked the front end up a little. Shortly after installing this I started having the "death wobble." I had almost everything on the front end replaced including tires and adding an $800 adjustable track bar with heim joints on both ends. Only after adding dual stabilizers did the wobble stop. I hated the way the truck drove with this track bar but lived with it for a long time.

Third step was a rancho 4" lift kit that included new radius arms, not drop brackets, and RS9000XL shocks. Once I finally got the lift installed the front end was about 1.5" higher than the back which made me again think that my rear springs were worn out. I didn't want to get a bigger block because the one that came with the kit was almost 5" anyway so I got a procomp add a leaf. Now the truck looks great (to me) but man I'm telling you I was in it for 13 hours yesterday and it just seemed to beat me to death. I run the shocks set at 3 up front and 0 in the back. When you go over a bump on the highway you can see the front end continue to travel up and down several times so I set the shock a little firmer to a 5.

I contacted deaver springs and they told me that they would make me a new set of leafs with the appropriate lift I needed that would make the truck ride like a dream for $950. I told you all this to ask you this, should I cut my losses and return to stock or do you think some new rear springs would significantly improve the ride quality and mind you I know it's not going to ride like a Lincoln but I would just like it to ride at least as good as a Cadillac.... just kidding but a stock ride would be nice.
You need a lot more than just a set of springs to soften the ride of that truck. I would look into a softer coil, better adjustable track bar, softer spring pack and something like a King 2.5 or bilstein 2.0 tuned for your vehicle.

When it comes down to it, many are fine with spending 10K on a lariat package that will provide comfort but 5K for a performance suspension seems unreasonable. If you're sitting in the truck for 13 hours at a time, I would highly recommend you address this properly as Rancho is not known to be a nice riding kit. The better suspension manufactures make these trucks ride unbelievably well compared to stock trucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts