Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to buy a Ford 250 in the next 2 to 6 months, but need some insight from experienced diesel owners first. I am planning to get a F250 6.4 around the first of November, but I have been reading they are getting about 17 MPG and the 6.7 is going to get about 3 MPG higher. I’m willing to wait a little longer if the wait is really worth it? So its about MPG’s and performance for me any advice?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Whomever told you 17 MPG wasn't being entirely honest. Stock these trucks only see an average of 12-14 MPG if your lucky, and that's mainly freeway driving. With a tune that removes the DPF, you'll see an increase, but stock you won't see numbers in the high teens like that.

I'd also like to see the results for the 6.7, haven't heard of an increase of 3 MPG. Not saying it doesn't exist, I just haven't heard about it or read about it, yet. :)

Should also mention, that's at roughly 65 MPH speeds.

·
Registered
449 Posts
that truck looks sweet! not to mention the power..

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Thanks for the article, good read. :thumb:

Not sure about how good the MPG gains are with the DPF removed, but you have to believe they are gonna be better when you remove that big-o restricter from the system. I've read user reports ranging anywhere from 2-8 depending on how they are driven, and what types of roads. Some people have reported low 20's others mid to high teens.

·
Warheads on Foreheads
1,812 Posts
mine only gets about 11.9(lie-o-meter) in the city, not much better hand calc but that's 100% stock..... tuner and dpf delete to come

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Planning to buy a Ford 250 in the next 2 to 6 months, but need some insight from experienced diesel owners first. I am planning to get a F250 6.4 around the first of November, but I have been reading they are getting about 17 MPG and the 6.7 is going to get about 3 MPG higher. I’m willing to wait a little longer if the wait is really worth it? So its about MPG’s and performance for me any advice?
We don;t buy diesels for MPG, we buy them for the power to tow, haul, and pull.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The PowerStroke can indeed get 17mpg on the highway in stock form. Those who say nay are misinformed. You will get less mileage when towing or hauling, or if equipped with higher ratio rear axles, or if a dually.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
We don;t buy diesels for MPG, we buy them for the power to tow, haul, and pull.
Exactly.

Mine gets 12mpg all day everyday, but I still love her.

On another note, I'd wait for the 6.7, that scorpian is suppose to kick ***!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
smotrs,

so wht can i exspect if i where to get a tune to remove the DPF?

also here is a link to where i got the 3 MPG from

PickupTrucks.com: Upcoming Ford Scorpion Diesel Said To Have Big Sting
FYI, a DPF delete is more than a tune. it is a total removal of the DPF system (thus making the truck 'illegal') but is what you really need to do to get the power and mpg out of it. Anytime the truck goes into dealer for warranty work, expect to reinstall the DPF, etc. unless you have a VERY mod friendly dealer. I am kinda waiting on the 6.7 myself.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I know this sounds stupid but I hope they beef up the 6 speed trans they are going to use. It says in the article it will be using a 6 speed auto like the F150! I expect tranny problems for the first 2 years of the 6.7!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I know this sounds stupid but I hope they beef up the 6 speed trans they are going to use. It says in the article it will be using a 6 speed auto like the F150! I expect tranny problems for the first 2 years of the 6.7!
I'm sure whoever wrote that article doesnt know much about the difference between 1/2 tons and HD trucks, he just sees the number Six assuming that they are the same.:rofl:

But anyways I'd definitely wait on the 6.7l, because in a few months you'll feel like your missing out.
And if the 6.7l is garbage when it comes out, there will be 6.4ls still on the lot, if you really want one.
But I'm sure the 6.7l will be wicked crazy, and it shouldnt be any worse than the 6.4l as far as reliability goes.:nod:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts