Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a 6.4l since they came out. I have a 04 wrx and a 01 f350 7.3l right now. I will be getting ride of both if i go for the 6.4l. Just wanted some insight on if i should go for the 6.4l. I have done lots of reading and the problem stories scare me a little but the potential of the 6.4l is amazing. Right now i have been trying to sell my wrx and been using my diesel for a dd and what not it only has 91k on her. So should i go for the 6.4l or stick with the 7.3l

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Maintenance is very important on the 6.4's. They have huge potential for power however they can be very costly if certain components fail. If you plan on keeping it stock then it has to be mainly a highway vehicle as the emissions equipment doesn't like stop & go city traffic. Dpf & egr deletes help alot with reliability but require tuners to do so. It all depends on what you plan on using the truck for. Some guys that step up from a trouble free, pre emissions vehicle into a 6.4 love them while other guys who do the same have nothing but problems and then regret their decision. As long as you know that there is potential for issues to arise with the new style of trucks then you would probably be ok.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would plan on doing the delets with a tuner and using it for a dd with sled pulling once in a while

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That's what alot of guys seem to be doing with them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I recently purchased my 6.4 with 108k on it and been very happy with it, just deleted and it amazing the difference. Keeping up with maintenance is the the rule just as superduty6.4 stated. The other thing I had noticed between the older models and the 6.4 and up is the ride and how quiet the cab is. I can barely hear the motor and know its a diesel when the window are up. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys... i have been looking for one havent seen on i wanted yet but i think im gonna go for the 6.4l

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
thanks guys... i have been looking for one havent seen on i wanted yet but i think im gonna go for the 6.4l
Hopefully you can find one you like. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You got a 7.3 with under a 100k on it! I would keep that and maybe do a coil over conversion on the front and mod the motor and trans and not worry about emissions and have a solid truck that will go to 200k+ with no major issues

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts