Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No Balance

Votes: 6 54.5%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im installing a "wicked wheel" soon and im wondering if i really need to balance the wheel or not, ive heard 50/50 that you cant just put it on but some say since it screws on you dont need to balance it, chime in the best you guys can, a thousand thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
How in the world would you balance it? I have never heard of this before.

I just put one in my truck last weekend, and did not balance it.

later

·
Registered
512 Posts
It depends on how many miles are on your turbo. If you have alot you may want to balance it otherwise you might ruin your new wheel.
If you have low miles and can put it in w/o moving the turbo shaft good luck!
You have to put a wrench on the exhuast side bolt on the shaft holding the wheel and the same on the inducer side in order to unscrew them. It isn't too hard but you might bugde the shaft a bit when undoing it.
Mark

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,086 Posts
I have heard both sides of this issue and I can only tell you from my experience I have about 15 thousand miles with my ww without any issues and its not balanced:thumb:

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Just stick it on and worry no more...

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
I installed my ww on my turbo with out ballancing it. I had about 160,000 miles on my truck at the time of the install. I now have 165,000 miles and I have had no problems.

Besides the wheel should be ballanced at the time is it fabricated.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
well i guess im gonna do it myself then, any idea for how long it will take?
Depends on how you do it. If you do it the scuffy way probablly take you about an hour. If you do it the way the instructions say your looking at a couple hours.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
yeah i was gonna do it the scuffy way seems so much easier than removing the turbo
That way your looking about an hour. Scuffy is fast at doing it because he has done so many.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
I still want someone to explain to me how in the world you would ever balance that thing in your garage befor putting it on?? I'm pretty sur the tiny little wheel weights would hit the housing...:hehe:

No, seriously...how is this done?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
I still want someone to explain to me how in the world you would ever balance that thing in your garage befor putting it on?? I'm pretty sur the tiny little wheel weights would hit the housing...:hehe:

No, seriously...how is this done?
You have a shop do it. But I have yet to see a shop with the equipment to do it.

But you would remove the turbo, then spin the turbo with the wheel on it. I am sure it is complicated process.

With all the people that have done this mod and have not had any problems from it with out ballancing the wheel. I see no need to go through this.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Me neither.

I had never even heard of it...Thanks for the info bigcountry. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.