Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
21,478 Posts
O.K. I've cooled down from being accused of making up this mpg # .
Don't let the internet get you worked up bud, it's not that serious.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Witness

What is your mpg when not towing? I get “good” mileage usually around 17 when not towing. However, when I tow I usually get between 10-11 and less if I drive over 70. I have a drw, 2WD with 3.73 and I’ve noticed it doesn’t matter the weight of the trailer at all. When I towed an old airstream (5200 lbs) with a diesel excursion I got 10-11. When I pulled larger bumper pull TTs, same. Now my big fifth wheel gets 10-11.
My point is your mileage is on par with the rest of ours and your friends mileage is an outlier.

Edit...I see you get 16 unloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
BTW,
I just did my weight loss and I will report back if I see any increase in fuel economy after I tow this weekend. My unloaded mileage did not increase :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My trucks work, I don't haul campers in the hammer lane.

We've asked for info... Post pics of his rig and his MPG display in the truck... I really want to know all the details about this set up.
Maybe this is where I'm messing up,,,,,,is 70-73 mph towing my 5,000 pound boat considered fast? Hammer lane? M.C. Hammer, Hammer time, sledge hammer, claw hammer?

·
Registered
365 Posts
O.K. I've cooled down from being accused of making up this mpg # my co-worker says he gets. I am not a story teller, I am not a lair, I don't even stretch facts, I told you guys what I was told. He is a straight up guy and mpg #'s I have read on line appeared to be the same as his, or so I thought until I bought the truck and joined this forum. I solved my TERRIBLE 26 gallon tank problem by throwing $1,500.00 at a 50 gallon tank, best move I made.
Yes, I've complained about my milage since I got it and NO ONE else seems to get the same bad mpg that I get. I'm 57 years old, I drive it like a 70 year old grandma and maintain the daylights out of it. I have every fuel rcpt and every rcpt for every add-on I've done. I keep a log of every fill up and the mpg in said log. I changed oil at 5,000 and 10,000 ( fuel filter also ) and getting ready to change at 15,000 in about a month. The truck has been washed so much you would laugh if you lived beside me and saw all the washings. Wife and I have never eaten or drank anything in it. I installed a bed rug over the factory Hercules lining, whatever it's called. Best LEONARD cap installed 3rd week of ownership.
SO, without wasting my time to read all these posts again, I believe the guy above said he ONLY got 9.5 or 10 towing his 13,000 pound 5th wheel. That,,, in and of itself,,, tells me that my 9 mpg towing 5,000 pounds SUCKS !!! I'm on flat road the 2 hours to the ocean and 2 hours back. Drove to Florida, not towing got 16-18 @ 75mph on cruise. Again, I got that with a gasser 2003 Tahoe.
The truck rides great, or so I think, has power forever and has every creature comfort, but with mpg as disappointing as it is to ME, buying this truck was a mistake on my part.
I honestly believe the 3.5 Ecoboost could do better mpg-wise, but I don't know. Power would suck tho'.
If you are referring to me I said 9-9.5 and that is towing at 67mph. MPH makes a big difference. Slowing down just 4mph I can get about 1-1.5mpg better. I would never consider towing above 70mph as I don't think I would even get over 8mpg.

Please let me know what your co-worker is doing to his truck to get 13mpg going 73mph. I'll bet I could get close to 15 doing 65mph if I had his secret.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Maybe this is where I'm messing up,,,,,,is 70-73 mph towing my 5,000 pound boat considered fast? Hammer lane? M.C. Hammer, Hammer time, sledge hammer, claw hammer?
Yes that is VERY fast. Check your trailer tires speed rating. If they are ST tires they will probably only be rated for a MAX 65mph.

I seriously only go 64mph towing unless we are a little short on time. Then I will push it to 67 but NEVER over that. I replaced my trailer tires to ones rated for 87mph.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hammer lane is putting the hammer down in the left lane.
Yes, I knew that, I just didn't think 73 mph was putting the hammer down. My bad. And I guess I need to re-think how fast is too fast.
And I will be checking with friend/co-worker to make sure I haven't misunderstood him about his speed.

HE uses Archoil additive and oil booster or whatever it's called at oil change time. Has Michelin tires and same reared as me.

·
Administrator
21,478 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never said you were wrong. I never said the op was wrong. That has nothing to do with what I posted. Just delete my membership and all info related to it like I asked. Thank you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts