Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you that read my posts know, I loathe my poor POOR mpg with my 2016 F250 6.7.
That said, would you think a tuner would help my mpg towing without doing a delete? Just a tuner, nothing else, or am I wasting $$$?

·
Registered
204 Posts
What are you towing, how fast are you towing it, and what is your poor mpg?

I tow a 14.5k pound fifth wheel. Usually tow it going speed limit of 65-70. I see 9.8-10.8 for mileage.
Got the same mileage towing with an 06 F350 with 6.0L

I often wonder how people who claim 12-13 when towing achieve those numbers. Maybe if they’re only going 55 and towing a flatbed.

It’s not really the weight, but resistance that kills your fuel economy. You’ve basically got a parachute back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
931 Posts
It is doubtful a tuner will improve your MPG. Neither 5-Star or DP-Tuner improved my mileage, but they sure improved my fun! Currently running the DP-Tuner 50HP Light Tow/Daily tune.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you towing, how fast are you towing it, and what is your poor mpg?

I tow a 14.5k pound fifth wheel. Usually tow it going speed limit of 65-70. I see 9.8-10.8 for mileage.
Got the same mileage towing with an 06 F350 with 6.0L

I often wonder how people who claim 12-13 when towing achieve those numbers. Maybe if they’re only going 55 and towing a flatbed.

It’s not really the weight, but resistance that kills your fuel economy. You’ve basically got a parachute back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm only towing a 5,000 lb. boat, getting 9 mpg @ 73 mph. I get @ 16 MPG unloaded. Friend of mine tows 12,000 5th wheel gets 13 mpg consistently. These are all pencil to paper #'s, not the in dash meter.
I got 8 mpg with 2003 Tahoe towing same boat. Shame a 6.7 can't do better than a gasser by more than 1 mpg.

·
Administrator
21,482 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Towing

Pulling my 10,000 Bumper pull my mileage is similar...

I can get 12.5-13 if I tow around 55.

I get around 9 if I tow at 70-75.

The advice you have received is correct, slow down for better mileage and less wear to your truck...

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He isnt doing 73-80 mph with that 5th wheel.

You are probably turning 2-2500 RPMs, over 20lbs of boost, pushing 75 mph... wondering why mpgs are so low.

You will get the same advice you got here: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-7-discussion-2011-2016/1255178-50-gallon-fuel-tank-uuggghhhhh.html
Yes he is, 70+ mph towing his 5th wheel getting what I said.
Seems if I come on here and say anything negative about the precious 6.7 everybody gets pissed. If a 6.7 can't do better than the mpg I'm seeing, it's not worth the extra $$$. That's MY honest opinion, you're welcome to your version. uuggghhhhh

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulling my 10,000 Bumper pull my mileage is similar...

I can get 12.5-13 if I tow around 55.

I get around 9 if I tow at 70-75.

The advice you have received is correct, slow down for better mileage and less wear to your truck...
Less wear to my truck???? Towing a little 5,000 pound boat is causing excess wear at 73 mph?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Less wear to my truck???? Towing a little 5,000 pound boat is causing excess wear at 73 mph?

My mechanic advises against extended towing at higher speeds. I was referring to the heat and boost for extended time. Not your boat. No offense of the 6.7 either. I loved my 7.3. The emissions suck on this engine.

·
Administrator
21,482 Posts
Yes he is, 70+ mph towing his 5th wheel getting what I said.
Seems if I come on here and say anything negative about the precious 6.7 everybody gets pissed. If a 6.7 can't do better than the mpg I'm seeing, it's not worth the extra $$$. That's MY honest opinion, you're welcome to your version. uuggghhhhh
Probably because all you do is complain, and talk about these magical mpg numbers that everyone is getting but you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm only towing a 5,000 lb. boat, getting 9 mpg @ 73 mph. I get @ 16 MPG unloaded. Friend of mine tows 12,000 5th wheel gets 13 mpg consistently. These are all pencil to paper #'s, not the in dash meter.
I got 8 mpg with 2003 Tahoe towing same boat. Shame a 6.7 can't do better than a gasser by more than 1 mpg.
Can you let me know what your friend has of mods and if he uses fuel additives? I pull a 13.5K fifth wheel and setting cruise control at 67 I get about 9-9.5mpg. If I drop to 62 I get 10.5-11mpg. I pull ours about 8k a year so I would love to find what he is doing to get 13mpg doing 70+. That could save me a lot in a year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Probably because all you do is complain, and talk about these magical mpg numbers that everyone is getting but you.
I am new to this forum but I'm not new to forums. I am surprised to see a mod go after a member's posts as you do. This member did nothing wrong, all he did was post. You may disagree with his post but as a mod your job is to monitor the board not argue with members. I guess this may not be the forum that I want to be a member of.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In defense of the mod he is merely replying to someone posting false info. You do not get 12.5 mpg pulling a 13,000 5 ‘er at 70+ mph. Period end of story.

So the poster has either been mis- informed by his friend or he is being less then honest. He may be just having fun at our expense.

Thank you mod for gently returning us to truth.

·
Administrator
21,482 Posts
I am new to this forum but I'm not new to forums. I am surprised to see a mod go after a member's posts as you do. This member did nothing wrong, all he did was post. You may disagree with his post but as a mod your job is to monitor the board not argue with members. I guess this may not be the forum that I want to be a member of.
a job? Clearly you are confused between working and volunteering... Also, Stuart, Im not discounting all of the valuable insight you've shared on this (and snowmobile) forums, but lets not forget that I am a vested member here too.

that said, my opinion is just as pointless as yours, yet you feel empowered to "go after" my post just to reprimand me.

I'd suggest you take some of your own advice.

·
Administrator
21,482 Posts
In defense of the mod he is merely replying to someone posting false info. You do not get 12.5 mpg pulling a 13,000 5 ‘er at 70+ mph. Period end of story.

So the poster has either been mis- informed by his friend or he is being less then honest. He may be just having fun at our expense.

Thank you mod for gently returning us to truth.
Its on the internet so it has to be true, right?

First off, I appreciate the support.

Second, you are very welcome and exactly right... OP has been on and on about MPGs and wants to convince us that 70-80mph with 15k on the hook is netting good MPGs.
Some of us live in reality, others just want to debate it.

All in all, people will google this forum and get miss information if members like you don't provide feedback and corrective input... no matter how hard it is on people's feelings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
a job? Clearly you are confused between working and volunteering... Also, Stuart, Im not discounting all of the valuable insight you've shared on this (and snowmobile) forums, but lets not forget that I am a vested member here too.

that said, my opinion is just as pointless as yours, yet you feel empowered to "go after" my post just to reprimand me.

I'd suggest you take some of your own advice.
I think I will take my own advice and go somewhere else. Please delete my account and any info associated with it. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
O.K. I've cooled down from being accused of making up this mpg # my co-worker says he gets. I am not a story teller, I am not a lair, I don't even stretch facts, I told you guys what I was told. He is a straight up guy and mpg #'s I have read on line appeared to be the same as his, or so I thought until I bought the truck and joined this forum. I solved my TERRIBLE 26 gallon tank problem by throwing $1,500.00 at a 50 gallon tank, best move I made.
Yes, I've complained about my milage since I got it and NO ONE else seems to get the same bad mpg that I get. I'm 57 years old, I drive it like a 70 year old grandma and maintain the daylights out of it. I have every fuel rcpt and every rcpt for every add-on I've done. I keep a log of every fill up and the mpg in said log. I changed oil at 5,000 and 10,000 ( fuel filter also ) and getting ready to change at 15,000 in about a month. The truck has been washed so much you would laugh if you lived beside me and saw all the washings. Wife and I have never eaten or drank anything in it. I installed a bed rug over the factory Hercules lining, whatever it's called. Best LEONARD cap installed 3rd week of ownership.
SO, without wasting my time to read all these posts again, I believe the guy above said he ONLY got 9.5 or 10 towing his 13,000 pound 5th wheel. That,,, in and of itself,,, tells me that my 9 mpg towing 5,000 pounds SUCKS !!! I'm on flat road the 2 hours to the ocean and 2 hours back. Drove to Florida, not towing got 16-18 @ 75mph on cruise. Again, I got that with a gasser 2003 Tahoe.
The truck rides great, or so I think, has power forever and has every creature comfort, but with mpg as disappointing as it is to ME, buying this truck was a mistake on my part.
I honestly believe the 3.5 Ecoboost could do better mpg-wise, but I don't know. Power would suck tho'.

·
Administrator
21,482 Posts
My trucks work, I don't haul campers in the hammer lane.

We've asked for info... Post pics of his rig and his MPG display in the truck... I really want to know all the details about this set up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts