Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest complaint about my 6.7 has to the fuel range. I mean, why does Ford put such a small fuel tank in a truck that is built to pull heavy loads? It makes no sense. When pulling my 30 foot enclosed trailer, I was getting about 10-12 MPG. That means I was stopping every 200 miles or so to fuel up. Yes, after a while you got to stop and use the bathroom, but having to fill up very time is ridiculous. A few weeks ago I had a Titan Fuel Tanks 50 gallon replacement tank installed. Let me tell you, it was the best truck decision I have ever made in my life. Now I can finally stop hunting for fuel stations. I was even able to have ford flash the computer so that everything read correctly. Trust me, the price is worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
FOrd did that so it can advertise a higher payload. When You add a bigger fuel tank, that takes away from the payload you can carry. Well, not really, but they are trying to keep the value under 10,000 lbs. If they go over that, they have to classify the truck as something else? Like they do the F350, F450, etc. This is why F350's are higher insurance costs, because insurance companies see that higher weight rating as an opportunity to call the vehicle a commercial vehicle (technically 26,0001 lbs is commercial), and then raise the rates. AT least this is what I was told by an insurance agent.

You are not suppose to exceed over 10,000 pounds with all cargo, fuel, fluids, you, passengers, etc. I think that's right if I remember correctly. So they put smaller tanks in to reduce the weight of the fluids, and to raise the weight that can be carried in the bed/cargo area.

Technically, if you get pulled over by a state patrol officer who is bored that night and can't seem to catch the truckers, he could look at the vehicle weight rating of your door tag, set up portable scales, and if you are over that, could right you a ticket. Unlikely, but he could if he was an A$$hole.

If i put in a new fuel tank, it will also be the larger titan, but I won't do it for the added fuel. I'll do it because I know that ford had some problems with fuel tanks in the 99-07 trucks. The coating inside was failing and getting into the fuel pump and injectors and causing damage. So I won't buy another OEM fuel tank if I replace mine.

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
If i put in a new fuel tank, it will also be the larger titan, but I won't do it for the added fuel. I'll do it because I know that ford had some problems with fuel tanks in the 99-07 trucks. The coating inside was failing and getting into the fuel pump and injectors and causing damage. So I won't buy another OEM fuel tank if I replace mine.

Those were for the C/C trucks with the aft axle metal tanks. All other P'ups are a plastic tank. If you want to spread drama at least get all the facts straight.

·
Premium Member
12,951 Posts
#shortbedproblems?? I had to crawl under and check mine when I picked it up to make sure it wasn't a Titan already lol cause the pump just kept going and going. Ford must have caught on with the '17+ models, my stock tank is 48 gallons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.