Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here is my problem. Battery drain.
I replaced both batteries for new motorcraft stock ones. I looked in the forum how to and checked them with a meter.
I used a UNI-T UT33C meter, set in "10 A", unplugged the negative of both batteries and the meter showed 1.60 and 1.40 tops. Too much I think. Both Bats are fully charged, 12.3V.
Tomorrow I´ll start unplugging fuses to find where is the leak. The only non stock electric are an alarm and a hot wire for towing.

Any advice on what should I read in the amp meter?.

Thanks

arriero

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hold on.
If you had both neg terminals off at the same time, I assure you that there was zero(0) amps flowing/drain. You need to start over.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I closed the circuit conecting the meter terminals with the battery negative and the negative cable. Then, it showed 1.6 and 1.4. Is that the right way to test it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh ok. Yeah that's right. I had a vision of both neg term in the air and current flowing...Nevermind. But yes that is a way to do it, and if you had 1.5Adc, that may be a bit high. I've never measured mine, but I would SWAG that it would be 1 A or so. Everything with a memory, ie the radio, PCM/ECM, will draw several milliamps, but shouldn't add up to 1.6A. Have you an alarm, aftermarket NAV, aftermarket entertainment or lighting?

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Seems high, but I have never checked mine. Your batteries aren't fully charged though. 12.6-12.7 is full charge on a car battery. I assume that you've made sure the alternator is working appropriately? I had a drain on mine that I was getting ready to chase down and found my glove box light switch wasn't getting pressed in far enough....found it one night in the dark when I saw light coming out of the crack between the glove box door and the dash.

A good way to start chasing the draw is to have a buddy/wife/etc watch the meter and start pulling fuses one at a time and see which ones drop the amp draw off. Then see what runs off those circuits and go from there. Good luck with it! I hate chasing electrical gremlins.

-Aaron

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, i have an alarm. Is the only electric extra that has my truck. Ill disconect it and check again.
Im planning to put a second fuse box for extras, so I dont mess with the original wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

1 - 6 of 6 Posts