Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I've been searching the forums for awhile now trying to figure out what kind of mileage I should be getting and have about given up. I've got a 02 F350 CC SB with 4.10s and 35's. I know the truck will get 18mpg doing 65mph, which puts me at about 1700rpms, because I used a Superchips Flashpaq on the max mileage tune and accomplished that. Ever since I put the TW chip on, I haven't got it any higher than 16mpg highway. I'm just wondering what you guys think, is this the best I can do or is there something that I'm missing? I baby it 95% of the time and don't usually let it get into 2000rpms while shifting. Thanks alot for the help guys

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I hate to ask you this... are you hand calculating the mileage or using the lie-o-meter in the overhead counsol?

Got to do the basics... change your fuel filter.. tire air pressure... also makes a difference on how you fill up your truck. It is real easy to add an additional 5 gallons to top it off...

·
Registered
85 Posts
fuel sipper

Just took a road trip in my girlfriends 01' f250 xcab long bed, 3.73, michelin ltx 295's, auto with circle D triple disc, trans fresh with all xtra clutches & shiftkit from Century Automatics (BADAZZ), PREDATOR set at 80hp tune. Cruising at 70mph on pretty level ground from houston to north alabama using cruise when hills were not around. Figured with calculator 19.7mpg....lieometer saying 26mpg. Fixing to make the same trip in my early 99' f350, 4.10, same michelins, wore out trans. and hardly ever get over 60mph. I will get back here and let yall know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, everything is handcalculated. Fuel filter changed last month and tire pressure checked. I'm sure the m/t's don't help mileage much but the 35's help get the rpm's down a tad

·
Rice Hunter
4,030 Posts
Check your air cleaner as well. Maybe a fuel additive to help clean injectors:dunno: I swear this low sulfer fuel killed my mileage :doh:
What-da-do:dunno: 16-18mpg fer a BIGAZZRIG ain't bad with yer foot in it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I keep telling myself that 15-16 aint bad for something this big and heavy, but when I get on here and see that everyone else is getting almost 20, I wonder if I'm missin something. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Im only getting about 16 on the highway and about 12 around town. Not sure why on this either. :dunno:

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Subscribing

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
I saw like 15-16 highway on my last trip to nc...

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,307 Posts
Don't believe everything you read on the World Wide Web!!! The vast majority have no idea how to properly calculate mpg. Air pressure is key in order to obtain the best mileage. Your 4:10's are working against you on the highway, I have the same problem. I would say 16mpg is pretty fair for your truck. I get 15 around town and I have gotten 17.6 mpg on the highway but I was really nursing it. With 4:10's and 2000 rpms you are going 63 miles per hour, no fun!!! Make sure air and fuel filters are clean, air pressure max'd out and a light foot on the skinny pedal and just enjoy the ride!!

NCH

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my truck in Arlington and drove it back up to northern Arkansas, most of the trip was interstate and I had cruise set at 75.

I managed to pull off an overall 17MPG... Truck is 4x4 F250, 3.73 gears, auto, 285 A/T tires.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Personally i think a lot of the 18+ mpg is bs. Ive driven a lot of miles some baby in it some hammerin it sometimes empty somtetimes pullin 18000 and it seems no matter what i see 15 to 16

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I saw plenty of 18-19mpg in my OBS, but nothing close to it in my SD

·
Registered
85 Posts
mpg

Just got back from road trip in my early 99.5 dually, 4.10, bully dog 60hp chip, banks 4" turbo back, stock air filter. got 17.8 on the way to alabama from houston tx. (not many hills) and got 18.8 on the way back. The only difference is i had a full tank of used transmission fluid on the way there and it was pretty much straight diesel on the way back and i actually went a little faster on the way back. 55-60 there and 60-65 coming back. Compare to the 01' f250 at the beginning of this strand. Basically i believe you can greatly gain mpg with a gear swap to 3.73 (as i will be doing, traveling that slow is brutal) if you still plan to pull a trailer and if not then you can probably go to 3.55's. Just my 2 cents from doing as much research and asking (bothering) every person I can.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Im running 4.10's now and I hardly ever tow. I was thinking of a gear swap...When I do tow, its a car trailer with a 1400 lb vintage mini...I wonder if 3.55's would be that horrible?

I mean most of the time its just my daily driver...should i stick with going to 3.73''s or would 3.55 be not so bad?

Oh and other than an AIS and a 4 inch mbrp, its a stock 02 dually 4x4..

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
TW in my old truck exhaust DIY intake Using daily and econo a mix of hiway and curvy steep WestVergina. I got 18mpg from spilling out the neck to choaking on the Eway to empty. Got it to the station filled her up till spilling out the neck. Hand caculated 18 MPG. From the pump i filled at to the same pump.:nod:

432 miles from completely full to completely empty. On 33s

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey fifty, I would say 3.73. you having a 4x4 would kind of throw my decision off. Do you 4x4 much. consider that you will have to change your front diff. gears as well. I have heard of people just changing the rear gears and being careful of getting on hard surface with it in 4x4. You dont have a CHIP? You dont know what you are missing, especially the fuel mileage. There should actually be a law against not having one!

Also need to add that I havent researched if there are 3.55 gears available. The ring gear has to be thin to make up for the abs reluctor wheel.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I just refueled a few hours ago. If my tank would have lasted another day (wednesda, tomorrow) I would have been 3 weeks on teh same tank. I drive nut to butt, bumper to bumper traffic around here. I went on one 120mile round trip on the highway w/ 3 adults and one baby, and a stroller etc in the rear. My tank lasted 536 miles. I used 30gallons. Thats about 17.2mpg w/ the whole tank city driving except my road trip two weeks ago. I shift at 2g or below. On the highway, I would travel at under 2k rpms w/ the cruise on and ac set. I also get on the truck at LEAST once a day to "clean it out". I'd say 17.2mpg is DAMN good.

If you research my threads I've made and look at my old air filter, w/ that filter on I was getting about 15.x mpg. It was a garbage k&n that was oiled to death and had CLUMPS of **** in it. My only mod on teh truck currently is my tymar intake. I plan on getting my straight pipe this week or next.

Lastly, those big tires DO hurt mileage. But ensure they are 5lbs over inflated, and analyze your driving style. I drive like GRANDMA. I literally rest my foot on the gas pedal to get up to speed. But like I previously stated, I do like to let that diesel smoke pour once in a while to clean it out.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.