Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been running the stock 265/75R16s on my stock 2002 XLT, BFG All Terrain KO2's which are a nice balance between highway quiet and good mileage, and decent on dirt roads.

wondering if I can get away with the 315/75R16's that are 34.5" OD (vs 31.6" for the stockers) without a lift or fender flare ? If not, what about 285/75R16 (32.8") ?

·
Registered
253 Posts
285/75R16 will fit and fill the wells fairly full. You may notice you loose some of the grunt when you go to the taller tire but it should also correct the inherent error in the speedo.

315/75R16 are likely too much on a stock ride.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
285/75R16 will fit and fill the wells fairly full. You may notice you loose some of the grunt when you go to the taller tire but it should also correct the inherent error in the speedo.

315/75R16 are likely too much on a stock ride.
yah, i suspected as much. hah.

towards the end of next year, I figure I'll be ready for new tires... in 2024, we're joining an RV caravan through Mexico culminating in the April 2024 total solar eclipse, near Durango,MX at 7000 feet elevation inland from Mazatlan. The caravan organizers suggested having two spares, one mounted, one loose. so I'll get 5 new tires including my mounted spare (currently an ancient highway tire) and keep the best of my current KO2's as the extra spare. My current KO2's are the 'commercial' heavy duty version, not as good on the snow, but less likely to chip off tread blocks on rocks.

So do a lot of folks run the 285's instead of 265s on the XLT factory alloy wheels ? I know the trade off of RPMs and speed... My speedo is indeed slow, as comfirmed by lots and lots of GPS speed comparisons (Pixel phone in holder on dash, vs dashboard instruments. Pixel wins. WIth the taller effective gearing, I'll be downshifting to 3rd ('not OD') sooner, and even 2nd on the steepest long climbs, but that also means those gears will be good at a little higher road speeds. I'll take that trade.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
stick with what's been working for you. Larger tires will make everything on your truck work harder and you'll lose a slight amount of fuel economy, when diesel is $6+ every bit helps IMO.

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,854 Posts
You'll need a 2.5" front lift, pulled back fender liners and some bumper trimming for 315's.

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
I run 285/75/16’s on our 04. KO2’s… the best tire I’ve ever had on this particular truck. The speedo is “corrected” until you hit 60 or so and then you’re speeding in comparison to what the factory speedometer reads. I use my Edge CTS2 to monitor corrected speed (has a tire size feature that corrects the speed). I also have a GPS speedometer app that is dead accurate and matches exactly what the Edge device reads. In Mexico, your speed is whatever the Policia says it was. You’ve got a set of brass hauling a camper in to Mexico.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts