Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2000 Excursion 7.3 4X4, needs new tires. truck is stock, no lift. I've heard taller tires get you better mpg (lower rpms). what is the best tire size for a stock 7.3?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not toooooo sure that is the way it works. If you go much larger than stock you will prolly lose some mpg, though may not be to noticable (more mass = more hp to get to speed and sustain). I have 305's on 16's on mine stock and work fine, though that size limits your manufacture choices. I am getting 16ish in town and 20ish highway, not drivin like an a$%.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In theory, the taller the tire the less times it has to rotate per mile, allowing you to go further on the same amount of fuel The flip side is, if you go too big, then you lose power/mileage compensating for the extra rotational mass. If you go bigger, remember to re-calibrate the speedo.

·
Registered
460 Posts
285/75/16 is a great size for stock wheels and no lift.

Reactions: hulahand

·
Registered
149 Posts
nyteshades nailed it. Calibrate the speedo, and remember that taller tires on the same rim= more rubber in the tire=more rotational mass=less economy. Some sites list tire weight in their specs, so you can try to stay close to your original weight when shopping, or go with an aftermarket wheel/tire combo that makes up for the tire weight gain with wheel weight loss. Of course, at that point, the cost of the package offsets whatever fuel economy savings you may see for a couple of years!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Width is a big one too. Most people go with bigger tires also go with wider tires. The wider the tire, the more friction on the road and the more mass. Go taller, but stay skinny for the best mileage.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Toyo M55 in 255/85-16 is the best all around choice for what you're after.

It's tall and skinny, and a super tough tire that wears well

My dad runs these and it's a good combo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts