Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was that time again. Changed oil and this time rotated the tires.

Tips for ya -

To enter the TPMS relearn mode.

cycle key to on with engine off. Turn on and off hazards three times, wait for horn honk and display confirmation of TPMS learn mode.

Then go to left front tire and release air until horn honks, go to passenger side front and do the same, then passenger side rear and finally drivers side rear.

After final honk of driver side rear, the dash will display training complete. Click Ok and your good to go.

FYI - I will be purchasing the Ford TPMS relearn tool on Amazon for like $40. This tool will eliminate the need to release the air pressure in the tire for confirmation by the Ford computer. It will save time because I will not have to wait for the computer to react and also eliminate the time required to air the dang tires back up.

Anywho - rotating tires can be accomplished at home, in your driveway with no tools. I also took the time and smeared never seize on every single bolt and brake line fitting, lol. Good times.

Oh ya and don't forget to torque them lug nuts to 165 ft-lbs. THese are aluminum rims and they can be hard on them lug nuts if not torque'd correctly. I also used a star pattern.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol.

I meant, no special Ford programming tools.

Nowadays, everyone thinks you need to bring your car in to have the dang washer fluid level checked.

·
Super Moderator
8,900 Posts
After doing it that way for many years I learned about @Discount Tire. They do the above plus they use a wire brush disc to clean off the mating surface on the wheel and the hub. They do great work!! Don't be afraid to use them for new tires, wheels, balancing, pressure checks, etc etc etc.

The best part is when the young techs come out to see 32 lugs needing 165lbs each. LOL Seems to be they always have the smallest person TQ down my truck wheels.

·
Registered
931 Posts
For the life of me I can't understand why Ford still does it this way. My FCA learned them automatically. My old BMW had a relearn where you set the learn mode then drove 15 feet. No hopping out and removing/ adding air.
After doing it that way for many years I learned about [MENTION=33772]

The best part is when the young techs come out to see 32 lugs needing 165lbs each. LOL Seems to be they always have the smallest person TQ down my truck wheels.
They just need a longer bar, like their GF always tells them :grin:

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I kinda agree this is stupid that you have to manually learn.

These trucks can self start themselves, self adjust speed in cruise control but hey they can't figure out when the tires are moved around.

I think the 2014 is the same. You can buy a edge insight with the TPMS ($70) program loaded and flat out disable TPMS on the truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts