Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires for my 97 F-250 4x4 with stock rims. I mainly use the truck for some light off roading in clay mud and loading and unloading my boat. Recommendations? I wouldn't mind going a little bigger but don't want any rubbing.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Some 285's... Cooper STT's are great for you. They are a good light mud tire, will go thru snow, gravel mud etc... but still get 40-60,000 miles off them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
285's fit very well on stock 16" OEM Wheels that came on my 97. Enough clearance for the front bumper. I like the BFG AT 285 85R 16's.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Some 285's... Cooper STT's are great for you. They are a good light mud tire, will go thru snow, gravel mud etc... but still get 40-60,000 miles off them.
I haven't heard too many good things about them. My friend knows a guy that only got like 30k out of them, just what I heard. Another option is the Goodyear Duratrac, haven't heard a single complaint about them, I talked to a guy that said it is the best tire he has ever used and from what I have heard/read they really last.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i have the firestone transforce tires on my dually. it the same tires Verizon uses on their entire fleet of older f-super duty's and gmc trucks.. i have no complaints

·
Registered
537 Posts
Cooper ST's are a good tire, I'm running 285/75/16. They have good grip and good highway manners. It'll be pushing them to get 40k out, and the STT's wear even faster. I had a buddy that got 25k out of them on a k5 blazer. I think I may put AT3's on when these are worn out.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I haven't heard too many good things about them. My friend knows a guy that only got like 30k out of them, just what I heard. Another option is the Goodyear Duratrac, haven't heard a single complaint about them, I talked to a guy that said it is the best tire he has ever used and from what I have heard/read they really last.
I've heard mixed these. Ya gotta remember, these trucks top-off 8,000lbs unloaded... thats hell on tires. I had Cooper Discoverer ST's, and they were ok. The mud tires I'm running now are better in EVERY single way though. Duratracs are a great tire; more of a "jack of all trades, master at none" type tire.

Cooper ST's are a good tire, I'm running 285/75/16. They have good grip and good highway manners. It'll be pushing them to get 40k out, and the STT's wear even faster. I had a buddy that got 25k out of them on a k5 blazer. I think I may put AT3's on when these are worn out.
I ran st's and they were pretty decent. STT's wear faster because they are a bit more agile offroad than the ST's.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
STTs are also softer rubber than STs, IIRC, which also accounts for the shorter life. We've got, hmm, 15-20,000 on the 235/85R16 STs on the ECLB, 99% of it on pavement, and they look like they still have plenty left on 'em. Smooth/quiet enough (not car-smooth, but not whining) at highway speed, and we regularly get 19-20 MPG mixed driving.

I'd say STTs are overkill for your level of off-roading; STs will do fine and will last longer and ride better on-road. Wider tire will hurt fuel economy, but should last longer (generally). 285/75 and 235/85 have almost exactly the same overall diameter, so speedo calibration is a non-issue.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Ya if all your doing is launching a boat then Discoverer ST's will be great.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
personally I love the Michelin MS2 tires

·
Registered
463 Posts
duratracs are a awesome tire i loved them. right now im running general grabber at2 and there nice road tires and i lauch my boat all the time with them but off road they aint too good

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Dura tracs and toyo at2 Are some of the best you can get for your application and usage. Also and other that I have heard good things about is the hankook atm. Friend of mine owns a tire shop and he told me to get them, and I am thinking hard about them. Also heard good things about the cooper at3's

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
265/75/16s are the same height as 235/85/16s, but the 265s are wider. 265s are the widest you can go without spacers in the rear. With a leveling kit, and 2 inch spacers( wheelspacers.com, only place I'd reccomend to get them from, as they are the best out there) you can go up to a 315/75/16 or a 35 inch 12.50 wide tire.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was very happy with the Bridgestone Duravis M700 tires that I last had on my truck for stock size. They took very little weight to balance and were quiet and smooth riding. I just switched to Cooper AT3 tires and they are also quiet and smooth but took more weight to balance. They are several sizes lager though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts