Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently get deployed right now and get a message from my wife who was driving back home from visiting family over the weekend to call her. I had a feeling that something happened and call her right away. She's freaking out and a nervous wreck because my front passenger side tire had a blow out and messed up the quarter panel a little bit - she thought I would be mad at her because I always joke about it. She was driving down the interstate at 70 mph with our dog in the back when it blew out and managed to keep the truck on the other 3 tires and get it off to the side safely without hurting her, the dog, or anyone else on the road. Not really sure how she managed to not flip or wreck, but I give her a lot of props and exteremly glad no one got hurt. Guess it's time for 4 new tires before this happens again. Here's some pictures...

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yep. That metal can be fixed. Flesh is a lot harder. Glad she's ok.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
9,266 Posts
I agree with Tulsa. Give her props for staying cool and getting it to the side. Body work is much easier to live with versus surgery or worse.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No doubt.. She could've totaled the truck - as long as she's ok, I'm ok with it.. I did tell her this morning when I talked to her that she missed a spot when she cleaned it on Sunday :rofl: Luckily she's a good sport about it

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Ive had those same tires on my work truck and have lost a few.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive had those same tires on my work truck and have lost a few.
I've only had them for about 30-40,000 miles, so I'm not too impressed with them. Granted they are outside in the sun most of the day and probably dry rotted a little bit with sitting a good majority last year and this year while deployed, but still seems to have gone rather quickly. The tread was still decent on them and that's where it blew out on her, so I won't be going back with those.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Are those the BFG all terrain?

·
Banned
976 Posts
Might want to check the DOT manufacture date on the tire. Local tire guy I know said the compounds used in tires have changed over the past decade (i.e.: Environmentalists I suspect, forcing changes in composition?) and any tire more than 3 years old can be considered questionable. This really pisses me off, as my boat trailer tires are at 90% tread and going on 6 years old. The point the local tire guy had...was when buying new tires, always look at the manufacture date on the tires they are selling you. On every tire, followed by the letters DOT, and do not accept anything more than 3 months old. He is anticipating in a few more years, they will be required to have expiration dates on tires.....as many are blowing out, people don't understand about the new compositions, and it's becoming a safety issue. I doubt your wife damaged the sidewall or hit anything, or overloaded the truck. Nothing can be done on these newer tires to 'foresee' when this will happen. If you are deployed and she needs to go get tires, have her ask the tire shop to show her the date code on the tires. They will be amazed she knows her stuff and won't mess with her:thumb:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might want to check the DOT manufacture date on the tire. Local tire guy I know said the compounds used in tires have changed over the past decade (i.e.: Environmentalists I suspect, forcing changes in composition?) and any tire more than 3 years old can be considered questionable. This really pisses me off, as my boat trailer tires are at 90% tread and going on 6 years old. The point the local tire guy had...was when buying new tires, always look at the manufacture date on the tires they are selling you. On every tire, followed by the letters DOT, and do not accept anything more than 3 months old. He is anticipating in a few more years, they will be required to have expiration dates on tires.....as many are blowing out, people don't understand about the new compositions, and it's becoming a safety issue. I doubt your wife damaged the sidewall or hit anything, or overloaded the truck. Nothing can be done on these newer tires to 'foresee' when this will happen. If you are deployed and she needs to go get tires, have her ask the tire shop to show her the date code on the tires. They will be amazed she knows her stuff and won't mess with her:thumb:
Thank you for that information - I did not know that. They are roughly 4 years old (or been on the truck that long at least) with maybe 40,000 miles top. I called BF Goodrich and opened a claim with them, so we'll see what they say after Sears inspects the tire.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Good move. At a minimum they need to pro-rate the tire based on tread. I'd push for the quarter panel repair....or maybe insurance would cover it as a road hazard type thing.

When it comes time for tires for me, I'll have to re-think how much I want to spend when the tire is only safe for 3 years......if I only drive my truck 30,000 in that time frame! That is why the tire industry is fighting having expiration dates. Nobody will want to shell out $1200 for such tires. My local tire guy says he sends back about 10% of the tires he receives, as they are already pushing 6 months old, and he keeps fewer in stock so he doesn't get stuck with them unsold for a year. Just another sign of the times. ULSD. Fluorescent bulbs. Bio fuel. Wind power. Lactose free. Sugar free. Cat converters and exhaust fluid. $18,000 to build a new F350 + $40,000 to make it meet the regs. Nice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to try and push for BF Goodrich to pay for the damage, but I can almost garuntee it will be my fault one way or the other. I don't really see them saying it's a defect of the tire, but I figured that's the worst that could happen is they will tell me no and I go back to the insurance.
The insurance company told me it's a collision claim similiar to weather damage, so it won't affect my insurance rates which is good. Either way I will be getting 4 new tires put on the truck before she gets taken out on the road again.

·
Banned
976 Posts
More so for the wife......I'd go by load rating, manufacture date, traction and temp rating, etc for the new set. You really can't go by name brand anymore and expect quality. They all have to meet certain standards, and it's published right on every tire. An inexpensive tire, probably due to a low tread rating that will wear out in 35,000 miles.....will often be a softer rubber with better street traction and braking.....you might save 50% over a new set of xxx brand tires, but they will last half as long......but within the 3 year safe life span.....see where this goes, for the tire sales people?

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
wow! Glad her and the dog are alright!!

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
On a more positive note for BFG, I'm currently running 2 BFG Rugged Trail T/As with 132K miles on them. They've been on the front, on the inside of my DRW and are currently on the outside. The are not bald but they don't have a lot of tread are about 12K miles over due for a change and will not pass inspection. I replace tires 2 at a time because of the DRWs and always keep newest on the steering axle. My usual rotation is 40K on the front, 40K on the inside and 40K on the outside. If the damn federal government has gotten in the tire business like they did the diesel engine business, I may have to rethink my rotation.

OP: Glad you wife is O.K.!! That looks like it could have been a real handful!!

k

·
Banned
976 Posts
132,000 is impressive, regardless of the amount of tread left! Particularly with having spent part of its' life on the steer axle.

Do I understand correctly though.....you're running mismatched tires on a set of duals, with different mileage and tread wear on them? If so, the tire with the most tread will be carrying most of the weight, enabling the lower tread tire to last longer. But hey, if it works for ya and you get that sort of miles out of them, I'd say 'go for it!'

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Do I understand correctly though.....you're running mismatched tires on a set of duals, with different mileage and tread wear on them? If so, the tire with the most tread will be carrying most of the weight, enabling the lower tread tire to last longer. But hey, if it works for ya and you get that sort of miles out of them, I'd say 'go for it!'

Yeah that's pretty much what's going on. It costs a fortune to rotate tires on a DRW truck so I don't. My tires are running 80K miles on the front and inside rear and will still pass inspection so I leave them on the rear. The outside rears are more like helpers but buying 2 tires every 40K beats the expense of mounting and dismounting tires for rotating and then buying 6 tires every 80K to the tune of $1200 to $1400. I'm seriously considering some centramatics. My dad just put 10 new tires on the Kenworth T660 and on his new F250. If they are as good as what I've heard, I'm gonna go for a set.

k

k

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
K - That is crazy mileage to see from a tire. I'm glad they have worked for you, but I'm not impressed with their life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts