Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of 43" Goodyear tires. Anyone gotta suggestion on what's the best way to balance them? I've heard of equal, airsoft bbs, sand and copper bbs what's the best way? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I just bought a set of 43" Goodyear tires. Anyone gotta suggestion on what's the best way to balance them? I've heard of equal, airsoft bbs, sand and copper bbs what's the best way? Thanks.
I've heard golf balls too. Sorry I be much more help.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Copper BBs are probly the best. there's a formula to figure out how many to put in but basically enough to balance out any problem and too many won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
545 Posts
with weights. how wide are they? you should be able to find a shop that will balance them.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
balancing with weights is fine but with larger tires especially they don't tend to hold that balance as well. if mud or something gets in there it can throw it off also. BBs will always keep it balanced and will adjust to caked on mud or anything like that.

·
Registered
545 Posts
balancing with weights is fine but with larger tires especially they don't tend to hold that balance as well. if mud or something gets in there it can throw it off also. BBs will always keep it balanced and will adjust to caked on mud or anything like that.
I was just going based off of my experience with bbs. 4wheelparts actually told me to bring some when they mounted some 41 inch iroks I had. well I literally couldn't get over 50 mph. I then found a shop that could balance them with weights and one of the tires that was almost perfect without anything was so out of balance with the bbs in it the worker just laughed.

·
Registered
911 Posts
With big rig tires, brand new tires, my dad has them mounted, trued (shaved), and roadforce balanced and only runs nitrogen instead of air and his trucks ride very smooth, he also had this done to his 03 250 with mud grapplers. Stop by a big truck shop and see if they cant do it. Dad had tires with those "packs" of powder or sand like material in them before he found out how to balance them as described, and before the tires would be smooth for a few miles and then rough and bouncy 5 miles later. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
545 Posts
yeah having them trued is a good way to balance them. also does he know that the air we breath is about
78 percent nitrogen? that extra 22 percent doesn't do much of anything.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nearly every tire shop around me says there is no way to balance them unless you put something inside them. Because these tires weigh roughly 200lbs each and because they don't have a machine big enough to put them on. Talked to a truck shop and they recommended the copper bbs as well.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
911 Posts
yeah having them trued is a good way to balance them. also does he know that the air we breath is about
78 percent nitrogen? that extra 22 percent doesn't do much of anything.

Well, what it does do, at least on big rigs, is the tires run cooler temps, I dont know how much but they do run cooler and dad basically stopped having blowouts while weighing 80k pounds in 100*+ temps and he got more mileage from a tire filled with nitrogen verses air, probably no real help on the 250 though. Just throwing it out as an idea to check on if it will help, not trying to change anyones mind. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have run Equal, Dynabeads, and Airsoft on Peterbilts to One Tons, and even Golf Balls on a set of Thornbirds on my K-5 Blazer. Had good luck with each.
The best Bang for the buck had to be the Airsoft, just be aware they have several different weights. 0.12g, 0.20g, 0.25g, and 0.30g that I am aware of.
I had started with the 0.12g before realizing the 0.25g was available. Took almost a Quart (with 0.12g) on 19.5 wheels with 16 ply Tires. Time consuming but I just kept adding till I had satisfaction.
I now choose the 0.25g for less beads with equal weight. Be sure to stay away from the Biodegradable as they will break down. Stick with the Plastic, they can be vacuumed out easily with a Shop-Vac and reused. Another plus is you don't need to run a filtered valve core, and no problems with leaking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One more thought, Another plus for the Airsoft is availability, Sporting Goods section of your Wal-Mart. If you plan ahead you can save money on ebay, but if you need balance right away, most are open late if not 24hrs.

·
LEARNING AS I GO
212 Posts
Ive heard bb's for many years also. What lift you gonna be running to clear these things

·
Registered
361 Posts
One more thought, Another plus for the Airsoft is availability, Sporting Goods section of your Wal-Mart. If you plan ahead you can save money on ebay, but if you need balance right away, most are open late if not 24hrs.
Looks like they sell them in an .43g now!!
Aftermath Blaster Devil Airsoft BBs, 6mm, .43-Gram, 3,000-Count: Hunting : Walmart.com

About how many beads do I need for 6 - 245/70/19.5's? Sorry, I'm new to adding beads to balance tires. Just need to figure out how much to add to each wheel/tire.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive heard bb's for many years also. What lift you gonna be running to clear these things
On my 6.0 i had 14 inches of lift to clear them. i tried the plastic bb's and golf balls neither worked very well finally i had them cut (trued) then balanced worked wonders. then it burned a couple months later so got a new 6.4

1,627 Posts
Quick question..to run the dynabeads do I need to remove my existing weights of my truck?

·
Registered
124 Posts
As for a "Number Count", I haven't actually used a Bead Count, but have used weight and/or Measuring Cup. On my 245/70/19.5, I have found that 8oz works best which is 3/4 cup of the .25g Beads. A 5000 Quantity Bag will give plenty. Another thing to keep in mind is these Fords come with a 6" wide rim, and most of the 245s recommend a 7.5" wheel. These tires are significantly more difficult to balance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts