Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a deposit on the truck in my sig. Got it for 12,900. When my father test drove it, he started out in third gear but didnt stall it lol. I am 19 and have never owned a stick shift vehicle before but I drive my friends 5 speed Nissan altima with no problem. I am picking the truck up next weekend. What advice can you guys give me on driving, and maintaining a zf6 6.0? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I heard that both trannys in these trucks are pretty bulletproof. Just do regular flushes and what not. BTW nice truck I would love a single cab diesel manual FX4 truck. I bet that was hard to find.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
32 Posts
its a hard tranny to hurt your weakpoint is the clutch. other than that change your tranny fluid once a year and drive it smooth and it will prove itself

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats wrong with the clutch? Also what is the best way to shift? Clutch to the floor every time i shift? And when going from gear to gear, should i throw it directly into the next gear, or a slight pause in neutral, followed by going into next gear? And when taking off in 2nd gear, is it necessary to give it some throttle while letting the clutch out? Or can i just let the clutch out (no throttle) and it wont stall? Thanks

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Whats wrong with the clutch? Also what is the best way to shift? Clutch to the floor every time i shift? And when going from gear to gear, should i throw it directly into the next gear, or a slight pause in neutral, followed by going into next gear? And when taking off in 2nd gear, is it necessary to give it some throttle while letting the clutch out? Or can i just let the clutch out (no throttle) and it wont stall? Thanks
Nothing, it will just need to be replaced at some point. It's not exactly the same but on mine I don't think I quite get it all the way to the floor but close. Directly into gear but remember its not a sports car. For the last question you're just gonna have to get a feel for it. I can let mine out in 2nd no problem but I give it a little throttle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You ever ridden a dirtbike? If so compare it to that all you do is release clutch slowly until it grabs and take off. Shift it smoothly if your grinding gears your not putting the clutch far enough in. Just drive it how it feels natural to you. Sorry it's really hard to explain its something you feel more when driving than actually explaining it online.....If you know what I mean, you'll figure it out regardless I mean it is pretty straight forward. Another thing to is if you hear the motor winding up And the truck is only creeping forward make sure the clutch is all the way out before accelerating. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Shifting will just be a period of learning. Watch your RPMs. They are key when shifting.

As for the clutch, they seem to be pretty good. Here is a post from a person working on his truck, shows his clutch with 582,000 miles on it. He hauls for a living. Looks pretty darn good with that many miles. Of course, he has been shifting for some time!!!!

Engine removal pics - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Scroll down for a look at the clutch plate.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You ever ridden a dirtbike? If so compare it to that all you do is release clutch slowly until it grabs and take off. Shift it smoothly if your grinding gears your not putting the clutch far enough in. Just drive it how it feels natural to you. Sorry it's really hard to explain its something you feel more when driving than actually explaining it online.....If you know what I mean, you'll figure it out regardless I mean it is pretty straight forward. Another thing to is if you hear the motor winding up And the truck is only creeping forward make sure the clutch is all the way out before accelerating. Hope this helps
Yeah man i have been riding motocross bikes my whole life i have a 2005 KX250 2 stroke. I get what your saying. Im just new to driving manual cars and trucks and am just interested in on thoughts and tips about the zf6

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have an 06 with a zf6, I don't mind the tranny other than there isn't alot of low end grunt. Keep the rpms up and no problems but it takes a little getting used to if your towing in hilly country.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear its best to keep programming stock if i want to get the most life out of the trans. I know the torqshift is a different story as far as that goes. Whats a good fluid for the zf6?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What can the stock clutch safely handle up to? hp wise?

·
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!
2,068 Posts
Ah man is trade you in a heart beat. Is slam that thing and exhaust/tune it and have a f250 lightning.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard that both trannys in these trucks are pretty bulletproof. Just do regular flushes and what not. BTW nice truck I would love a single cab diesel manual FX4 truck. I bet that was hard to find.
Thanks man I was really picky about my next truck. I wanted a manual diesel but not a 6.0. I was looking at truckshopper/craigslist for the past 2 months until i came across this truck. It was clean as hell, everything was tight, and it was priced right so i couldnt pass it up. I got it from eastpennautosales.com they have a 2000 F250 7.3 6 speed with just over a 100 thousand miles for sale and a really clean 1996 F250 Powerstroke with just over 90,000 miles for sale right now too.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Haha if you think driving a manual is hard to get the hang of then wait til someone explains how to float the gears! Floating the gears is very simple once you know how and will also save A LOT of wear and tear on your clutch.

Sean I bet the guy who has 586,xxx on his original clutch floats the gears every shift. I know when I drive any manual vehicle I only touch the clutch when I'm starting or stopping that's it. Other than that the clutch never gets used between any shifts.

·
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!
2,068 Posts
Haha if you think driving a manual is hard to get the hang of then wait til someone explains how to float the gears! Floating the gears is very simple once you know how and will also save A LOT of wear and tear on your clutch.

Sean I bet the guy who has 586,xxx on his original clutch floats the gears every shift. I know when I drive any manual vehicle I only touch the clutch when I'm starting or stopping that's it. Other than that the clutch never gets used between any shifts.
Whaaa explain more to me.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Isnt that bad for the gearbox/syncros, unless your really good at rev matching or what ever its called?

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
No it's not. If you know how to "feel" your way through gears your good to go. I have many many miles under my belt driving like this in everything from big rigs to 5 speed cars. Everyone I know that I used to drive truck with drives the same way. None of us use the clutch unless we are starting or have to stop at a light or what not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts