Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pick up my 2003 F250 CC SB 6.0L with 60k on it this afternoon.

From what I've read on here it's best to drive these things hard at least occasionally to help keep everything clean.... However this one was driven only a few blocks to work by this guys wife (hence the low miles)

Would I risk any problems by driving it pretty hard the first week or so? It just has an exhaust, never had a chip or tuner... I called my local dealers with BG services and they told me there's nothing for the diesels other than a fuel treatment.

I will clean the EGR valve or whatever when I get it home, but should I also get on it a few times to try and clean stuff out?

I've heard of turbos going bad from not being driven

Thanks, sorry for the novel,

Tyler

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
best thing to do is leave it alone :hehe:

change your oil, fuel filters, clean egr valve or delete the whole egr system

·
Premium Member
10,002 Posts
It really depends on how you intend on using the truck. Some leave it stock, some do mild modifications, other people go all out. I'd say just drive it for now and see if there's anything you feel needs attention.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
leave it alone as in....?

and I'm planning on getting a SCT tune to give a little more power and try to help with MPG, other than that nothing serious.

Oh and it will be a daily driver. Occasional medium duty towing.

·
Registered
551 Posts
In that case, I'd second changing the oil and filters, and drive it!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
since you want an answer about power and such here it is....

since you are out of warranty thats a good thing and a bad thing. good thing is you can delete the whole egr system..check out adams kit

First Coast Diesel Performance -- Your Source For Powerstroke Performance

now you say you are getting and sct for "mpg"... right....

your next step would be gauges before the sct, you are going to want to get an exhaust system, anything 4inch straight piped or a muffler.

the stock intake is a good unit, add an aftermarket replace filter to it and thats good to go

after all that then find someone to install ARP studs in there because you most likely will have head gasket problems and then its pretty much endless from there,

but if you want a reliable truck i would delete the egr system and try to get the truck studded. after then then you could do the other things more safely

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
since you want an answer about power and such here it is....

since you are out of warranty thats a good thing and a bad thing. good thing is you can delete the whole egr system..check out adams kit

First Coast Diesel Performance -- Your Source For Powerstroke Performance

now you say you are getting and sct for "mpg"... right....

your next step would be gauges before the sct, you are going to want to get an exhaust system, anything 4inch straight piped or a muffler.

the stock intake is a good unit, add an aftermarket replace filter to it and thats good to go

after all that then find someone to install ARP studs in there because you most likely will have head gasket problems and then its pretty much endless from there,

but if you want a reliable truck i would delete the egr system and try to get the truck studded. after then then you could do the other things more safely
Awesome. It already has a Diamond eye 4" (i think) exhaust, and sounds damn good. I'm probably just going to get an edge and run it on the 1 setting at all times. The EGT delete will probably come some time down the road, for now I will just keep it as clean as I can, run synthetics, and keep some seafoam or ATF in the tank.

·
Premium Member
13,264 Posts
I would get a custom tuned sct instead of the edge. If you like the edge display you can always do like me and get the Insight with the SCT

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one more question, how does one go about removing the cat on an 03? Are there any sensors that need to be disabled so it doesn't throw codes?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
no sensors on the cat, you say there is an exhaust system? what you can do is get under the truck and see if there is any foil like wrap on the downpipe coming off the turbo, that will tell if it is stock or not. you probably have a cat back system.

i would call up a vendor like Xtremediesel.com and order up an mbrp downpipe and a cat delete pipe. it will all mate together and you will be happy with that.

btw dont bother with the edge its garbage imo, ask Abrannan he will tell you how his trans liked the edge..well his old trans that took a dump on him.

if you order from xtreme diesel dial ext 203. jeff will answer he will take care of you, tell him that i told you to call

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no sensors on the cat, you say there is an exhaust system? what you can do is get under the truck and see if there is any foil like wrap on the downpipe coming off the turbo, that will tell if it is stock or not. you probably have a cat back system.

i would call up a vendor like Xtremediesel.com and order up an mbrp downpipe and a cat delete pipe. it will all mate together and you will be happy with that.

btw dont bother with the edge its garbage imo, ask Abrannan he will tell you how his trans liked the edge..well his old trans that took a dump on him.

if you order from xtreme diesel dial ext 203. jeff will answer he will take care of you, tell him that i told you to call
It has a diamond eye... I believe they are cat back but I haven't checked, just got the truck home tonight.

And I will definitely be looking into a down pipe/cat delete... This thing is a dog compared to our stock 06 cummins..

Oh and as for the tuner, I will be keeping my eye out for an SCT and then just buying some gauges, I guess the extra money is worth it in the long run.

Tyler

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
6.0s are def turds..my buddy has an 06 3500 non dually..truck moves really good compared to my truck without a tune on it

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
6.0s are def turds..my buddy has an 06 3500 non dually..truck moves really good compared to my truck without a tune on it
Yea I'll be getting an SCT with a tune ASAP

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I crawled under there today and it is a turbo back catless system. So that's a plus there. Saves me some cash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts