Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

TINY BUBBLES....TINY BUBBLES...??

17K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  WarChild 
#1 ·
No not the song.....

I was checking my engine yesterday...just listening and looking things over. I noticed small bubbles going into the degas bottle. Nothing major but they were constant. I have researched PS.org and noticed this could be the symptom for a bad head gasket or oil cooler. My question: Is a small amount of bubbling normal or should there be absolutely no bubbles feeding back to the degas bottle?? Many Thanks.

#2 ·
I don't know never seen any in mine that I know of ,sounds like air getting in somewhere you have any leaks???
JER-1
:icon_ford:

#4 ·
Ordered. Many thanks Doctor Green. ;)

#6 ·
If it's bubbling air is being introduced somewhere.... The most probable cause on the 6.0 are head gaskets or egr cooler but seeing as you deleted yours .....

#7 ·
I thought i read somewhere that if you are using a ELC coolant testing for gases in the coolant dont give correct readings... Is there any truth to this?

#27 ·
Nope. I dug into that one before I got the kit. It is just testing the air, coolant doesnt touch or mix with the soltion. (well if it does your test will be bunk).

#8 ·
Not sure. I would not think an ELC would have any impact on the results. The test is to test for exhaust gases as a result of combustion.

#9 ·
So is it possible to have a blown head gasket and not lose coolant ?

#10 ·
Yes, or the amount of lost coolant could be so small, you wouldn't notice it.

#14 ·
Good call on the block check...Think I'll pick one up just to have.

To the OP...where and when exactly did you see the bubbles? Now I'm interested to see if mine does it.

#17 ·
I believe it is the line from the EGR Cooler?:dunno:

#21 ·
#18 ·
Ok here is what I found,at idle if I take the cap off the degas bottle I can see tiny bubbles constantly.When ,I turn on the high idle mod they go away,however from the outside I could not see the bubbles.I am going to get the test kit anyway. I dont have an egr cooler.

#22 ·
My "Block Chek" kit should be here today. I am also waiting on a new alternator from DC Powering Engineering, which should also arrive today. As soon as I get it running and up to temp. I will test for combustion gases and post results.:look:

#30 ·
I did my test tonite, the color changed from blue to a slight emerald green but no yellow,I am thinking,no or maybe just slightly leaking .

#23 ·
Keep us posted... Also, what was the reason you went with the DC Power alternator? I've been thinking about one for a while, just haven't brought myself to spring for one.

#28 ·
I did a lot of research on this site and others knowing my alternator was headed south. While there were other units out there, DC just seemed to have it all together. That it was a direct replacement and made in USA also helped. Alternator finally went craps last week. So a rush order to DC Eng. (Tow truck driver and I are becoming great friends, second time it has left me on the side of the road in two months) :tard:

#24 ·
I got my kit yesterday,hopefully by the weekend I will know also.

#25 ·
Could the bubbles be a result of cavitation?

#32 ·
Yup,after thinking overnight. I am thinking early signs of failure.

#33 ·
Well, I received new alternator today from DC Power Engineering. Once it was installed I was able to start my truck and get it up to temperature for testing any combustion gasses in the degas bottle. Using the Block Chek kit Dr. PGreenSVT recommended I am happy to report that my test was negative for exhaust gases. Interestingly I did not see the bubbling in the degas bottle that started my original concern. But now I know for sure my heads are in good shape for now:woot

Attachments

#36 ·
I will sleep much better tonight. Til the next issue comes along....:doh:

#37 ·
That's awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.