Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

TINY BUBBLES....TINY BUBBLES...??

17K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  WarChild 
#1 ·
No not the song.....

I was checking my engine yesterday...just listening and looking things over. I noticed small bubbles going into the degas bottle. Nothing major but they were constant. I have researched PS.org and noticed this could be the symptom for a bad head gasket or oil cooler. My question: Is a small amount of bubbling normal or should there be absolutely no bubbles feeding back to the degas bottle?? Many Thanks.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Since you have an egr delete there is a good chance it is your head gaskets. Get some of this Block Chek - Store and check for exhaust gasses in the degass bottle. It'll let you know for sure.
Ordered. Many thanks Doctor Green. ;)

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Not sure. I would not think an ELC would have any impact on the results. The test is to test for exhaust gases as a result of combustion.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Good call on the block check...Think I'll pick one up just to have.

To the OP...where and when exactly did you see the bubbles? Now I'm interested to see if mine does it.
I believe it is the line from the EGR Cooler?:dunno:

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Could you see the bubbles only from the outside of the degas bottle ?
Yes, that is how I first noticed them. I was standing at the front of the truck while it was running and at temperature. The motion in the degas bottle is what caught my eye. I am down right now waiting on a new alternator which should be here Wed. Once I get it installed, I will check it out further.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
Discussion starter · #22 ·
My "Block Chek" kit should be here today. I am also waiting on a new alternator from DC Powering Engineering, which should also arrive today. As soon as I get it running and up to temp. I will test for combustion gases and post results.:look:

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Keep us posted... Also, what was the reason you went with the DC Power alternator? I've been thinking about one for a while, just haven't brought myself to spring for one.
I did a lot of research on this site and others knowing my alternator was headed south. While there were other units out there, DC just seemed to have it all together. That it was a direct replacement and made in USA also helped. Alternator finally went craps last week. So a rush order to DC Eng. (Tow truck driver and I are becoming great friends, second time it has left me on the side of the road in two months) :tard:

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I'm glade you liked it... these trucks at times make you feel a little crazy about issues.
I heard that. I have spent more on this truck (in 9 months of ownership) in repair $$ that all of my other vehicles put together over the past 30 years. You have to smile to keep from crying....:crazys:

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Well, I received new alternator today from DC Power Engineering. Once it was installed I was able to start my truck and get it up to temperature for testing any combustion gasses in the degas bottle. Using the Block Chek kit Dr. PGreenSVT recommended I am happy to report that my test was negative for exhaust gases. Interestingly I did not see the bubbling in the degas bottle that started my original concern. But now I know for sure my heads are in good shape for now:woot

Attachments

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I will sleep much better tonight. Til the next issue comes along....:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.