Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to chang out the passenger side hub. Asked some questions here and decided to order a Timken 515025 hub to fit my 2003 F350 SD 4x4. I bought it off of eBay from Summit Racing. It arrived today and it came as a Auto Extra part not as a Timken as advertised. Tried to look up AutoExtra and not much found. I did find out that Timken did shut down a lot of their manufacturing in the U.S.. I can not find Timken anywhere on this part. All I can find is these 3 numbers. I just don't trust Chinese steal. Would rather pay more and not have to do it again, at least for a while. Have any of you run across this problem

·
Administrator
33,886 Posts
I do not think that is Timken

"OEM design" is a giveaway i do not have a pre05 to check numbers though
Timken does state that other mfg bearing may be used in the assembly but I would still expect a Timken box and documents

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Any timken I’ve ever bought said timken - if I remember correct this one had TIM on the bearing somewhere. And came in a timken box. This box, about a year old says Made in the USA.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It should be the black and orange box like Jeff-350 posted. Even so, there are a lot of counterfeit parts being marketed these days.

I would go look for an AUTHORIZED dealer to be sure you get a genuine part.

·
Administrator
33,886 Posts
finding an authorized retailer on the timken site is a joke and finding online authorized is impossible

I have emailed them before Amazon is obviously not Authorized lol but they were no help
checking on say rock auto and 1A auto ,, however I know 1A would ship you a Timken and have a better in house warranty than Timken provides

Edit = I agree Summit is pretty good but I have read of this same situation before
sure they will give you your money back but when confronted on the bait and switch they said "well you can purchase again but you will probably get the same part"

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Edit = I agree Summit is pretty good but I have read of this same situation before
I gave you a like, because I had this same scenario with Summitt over Walbro fuel pumps. These are in-tank electric pumps very popular with hotrodders of modern EFI cars that require more robust pumps than OEM pumps provide. The Walbro Brand is so popular, it is of course counterfeited by Chinese sources for resale in the USA, right down to "made in USA" on the pump. There are videos on how to tell a Genuine from a Counterfeit. Another indicator is price. If it costs less than $130, it is probably counterfeit.

I ordered two Walbros from Summitt for a ZR-1 Corvette project. I didn't have time to order from my normal source. The price was $105 each, which concerned me. I ordered by phone so I could ASK "are these genuine Walbros, I won't f-around with counterfeits in this car?" "Yes they are. We have cheaper pumps than Walbros". They were counterfeits. I had to purchase Delphis from a parts house to complete the job. So yeah, Summitt sells counterfeits.

I've been aware of counterfeit Timken for some time, though I have not encountered it. With what I know about Walbro, it would not surprise me if everything from the box to "Made in USA" and the Timken trademark are copied as well. Have to be vigilant.

Sorry for the TL;DR,

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
NAPA Autoparts has been doing this for a while I noticed too. I have gotta quite a few Dorman brand parts when they were marked/sold as ACDelco, Motorcraft, and so on. Its getting harder and harder to stay away from the very overpriced local companies to get exactly what I want. Keep us updated if Summit stays true or tries to play games. I would not install it. I would rather run an Autozone or Oriley one temporarily just because you can trade it in almost anywhere till a timken arrives. If you can't wait of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.