Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If you can swing it upgraded clutch packs as well.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Torque converter, shift kit, valve body and tranny gauge
Boom. The end. '97s had steel gears which are much tougher, but even the earlier obs trucks w/ aluminum gears rarely have issues. the list this guy just gave you will give you a built transmission that wont have any issues holding 400hp or less.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Torque converter, shift kit, valve body and tranny gauge
^^^^^ This... And if your mechanical at all you can do it all yourself, no shop needed.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Who makes a good valve body and torque converter that won't break the bank? It has 150000 miles on it. I called a tranny shop around me and they quoted $1700 with a triple disk converter, rebuild with a shift kit. They built the tranny in my buddies dodge and it seems to be holding up. He tows a 40' goose neck with a school bus on it.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
TC: 6.0, RacerX, BTS, Suncoast. 6.0/racerx being cheapest.
VB: BTS!!!!, trans go tugger 2, john woods....

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
We can get you a Tq converter good to 400+ HP and no trans mods required for the install. Also have BTS VB's.

You should upgrade to the SD bypass and its 3/8" hard lines and add a LPD47391 Tru-Cool behind the front bumper.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
We can get you a Tq converter good to 400+ HP and no trans mods required for the install. Also have BTS VB's.

You should upgrade to the SD bypass and its 3/8" hard lines and add a LPD47391 Tru-Cool behind the front bumper.
Good advice here ^^^^^^^^

Like I said if your mechanical you can do it all yourself. I had mine out by my lonesome in like 2hrs when I built mine...

I built my own VB, sonomax (spelling) valves and transgo tugger kit... Billett triple disq tc from banks, but the jury is still out on that one.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The truck had a P1748 code when I got it. the tranny shifted alright when it was warm. When it was cold it wouldn't go into 3rd gear unless you pulled the shifter down to 2nd then into drive. Drove it a couple nights ago it was find the next day it was slipping and by the time i got home from my 6 mile round trip it was slipping alot. Do you guys think I can replace the electronic pressure control soleniod to get me by for alittle while? The fuild in it I would say is original 150,000 miles and is brown but doesn't smell to burnt.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I second Cary's 6.0 converter. Very nice unit for the money. I have that and a Tugger 2 kit.

UNless you are pushing larger than stage 1s or tow at max capacity, get a rebuild kit with at least Raybestos frictons and Kolene steels. For some more money get the Red Eagle upgrade for the clutch frictions if you run it hard.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Haha slipping, day i put my stage 2s in is the day i dropped my tranny! Did 4 wot from dead stop and dropped second gear completly, dads friend that did tranny said it wouldn got any worse if i didnt stomp it, so i coulda limped it around but who can do that with fresh injectors?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts