Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i bought my 96 crew cab with the zf-5 the clutch pedal has been extreamly stiff, i got used to it and my left left is ripped now.... all was good untill about a month ago when i blew my clutch slave cylinder, easy fix..... about 2 weeks later i killed another one...and a week after putting the second slave in the 3rd one died as well, so at this point im keeping an extra one on board and a jug of brake fluid..... any ideas here? pressure plate on clutch messed up so im having to push the pedal harder???? crap parts from checker/ auto zone???

:dunno:

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
What year is the truck? Stock clutches with the DualMass FlyWheel (DMFW) were really stiff. I know the early slaves used to crack (I went through at least 2 or 3 on my 94) at the line boss-to-body joint. I ended up finally changing it to the later master/line/slave that has larger bores and had no issues after that. You can always remove the inspection cover and look for weirdness (missing flywheel damoening springs, too much play between masses, etc) and check the clutch release lever. The Single Mass FlyWheel (SMFW)/Clutch kits are generall much easier on the leg. If you do get one, replace the release lever and throwout bearing as they don't add much to the cost (and the SMFW kit may come with a new throwout bearing anyway). Cheers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts