Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this truck 1 week now. It has 140k on it and yesterday is seems like it lost a rod bearing or turbo. I have put a about 500 miles total on it. 100 miles ago I put an Edge 15500 race tuner with a dpf delete on it.

I thought everything was running fine it had a slight ticking noise like a noisey lifter (thought is was the typical 6.4 tick). While cruising on the freeway yesterday the ticking turned into a knocking, power loss, and the low oil pressure light coming on for about 45 seconds then went off. I didn't dare get on it more. No smoke, no check engine lights and no engine codes etc...

starting up and idling the engine sounds normal. It revs very sluggish. If I disconnect the charge tube from the intercooler its revs fast (normal). While idling the low oil pressure light will come on for about 5 seconds every minute or so.

Hoping it was a broken rocker arm I pulled the valve covers and there was nothing wrong. Both turbos have some slight shaft play. They high pressure turbo has more and am wondering if the exh. wheel is hitting the housing as it tries to build boost.

Anyone have any ideas? Any way to check rod bearings without getting too deep in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Now I'm even more worried about mine....

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just an update My turbos are shot the bearings are gone so i have new turbos going on it and should have an update on how it runs tomorrow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turbos were replaced n she is still knockin. I changed the oil today and found a bunch of bearing material collected on the top side of the oil filter. I would definately look there first had I have known. So Down she comes for some rods n whatever else I may find.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
are you sure it was bearing material and not rocker arm debris?
you can try disabling the injectors one at a time. if the noise ceases with an injector disabled, it's gonna be a bearing. bound to be a fairly common problem with the fuel dilution

·
Registered
444 Posts
Man I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck! I bet you are sick to your stomach about the repair cost.... especially since you just bought it. Who is going to rebuild it for you?

·
Registered
166 Posts
i have seen problems that sound similar that are the rod bearrings breaking apart on the crank shaft. i've also seen melter pistons make that noise. i'd run a compression test. the burnt piston will cause a lower than normal result, usually about 300 psi for an engine with your mileage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts