Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First powerstroke, always had gm diesels, still do, they have been good to me, thought i'd try a powerstroke, it has been great for 140,000, Yesterday i went down the road, got to the hiway, when i let off the fuel it made a thumping sound under the hood, then when i accellerated, the engine was real quiet, no valve sounds, and it poured out coal black smoke(i couldn,t see the cars behind me), i thought dirty air filter, pulled over at a friends shop just up the road, pulled out the air filter, it was filthy, partially collapsed, so i cleaned it for a while, blew it out, put it back in, no more black smoke, instead now it blows out snow white smoke so thick i couldn't see his shop twenty feet away, and it's not raw fuel, started to drive home, but it was missing out so i just left it at his house. It has always made the tea kettle sound on and off, i never worried about it, its never used any coolant, doesn't run hot, never have had any other problems with it, i only ran it maybe five minutes with these problems then i parked it, could this be the EGR valve and cooler i have been reading about? help me out here please!

·
Registered
597 Posts
that does sound like EGR. Also check your CAC tubes and make sure you did not blow one of the intercooler pipes off. 2 blue boots, one at the turbo, and one at the intercooler on passenger side.

Welcome to ORG btw

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Do what he said:thumb: welcome:thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tore it down, what a project!, BAD egr cooler was the culprit, i took it off, held my thumb over one coolant port and blew in the other, i could hear air coming out the exhaust side, so i filled the coolant side with anti-freeze, and watched it come out the exhaust side. THANKS TO ALL, without this site i would have probably went straight to the head gaskets, now i've got a 250.00 fix for the delete tube and gasket set, instead of 1k.

·
Registered
597 Posts
glad to hear you got her patched up..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts