Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you get over the jumpy pedal? I don't really know how to explain this. I have driven many 150's, 250,'s prior to fly by wire. When I hit a bump my foot either trounces the peddle or lifts. My little VW is an LVDT but it hasn't seemed to cause the same. When I hit big bumps or dips my foot moves with it, which causes a increase or decrease in throttle. It is very uncomfortable for me so it must be worse for someone riding with me??? I feel like I'm riding with my elderly aunt on old roads.

737tdi

"Fly by wire"= electrical control, "LVDT"= linear variable differential transformer, the sensors that input your throttle position. I guess this is something I have to get used to?? Or is there something I can do "driving style" to prevent it. I guess if you just floor it you wouldn't notice it but when going around sharp bumpy curves it is most noticeable. Truck hits bumps, foot bounces a little and throttle follows, causing a uncomfortable ride.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Coming from the Jeep world and being on the trails... I learned to allow the right side of my shoe to contact the transmission hump and pivot my foot, pressing down with the left side, when I know the trail or road is going to be especially bad. If I know I'm going to be steady on the throttle, say, up a steep hill... once I'm at the right amount of throttle, I just press to the right, making it even more stable and basically locking my foot into position, vertically. Hard to explain, but it works for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ZeroOne: It's also a hard question to explain. I know what you are saying with the jeep. I did alot of offroad with my IH Scouts in Cali. many years ago. You are right, that's something I had forgotten, driving little cars back and forth to work. Thanks.

737tdi

·
Registered
372 Posts
I found this annoying when I got the truck but I have forgotten about it since then. I guess I got used to it because it hasn't been an issue for a while.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I haven't really noticed it either, it's much smoother then my Jeep over the same bumps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts