Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a 400 mile round trip, truck was fine, on the way there my throttle would cut out once every half hour or so, then it progressively got worse, once I got to my destination I did some research, thought maybe my chip was loose causing my problems so I took it out and it seemed better, on my way home I was about 100 miles out and my throttle cut out way worse and finally got bad enough to where the truck was stalling out and eventually died on the shoulder. When the throttle cut out my wait to start light came on and then went away, along with my CEL flickering too, I was able to start the truck after a few min and barely limp it into a fuel station. I’m thinking the pcm just went bad on me but I honestly have no clue, anyone had any problems like this or ever heard of this before??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Starting off with the year and model would help a lot
What does 'throttle cut out' mean? you had no control? or the engine stopped firing?
Sounds like you have an electrical problem with power to the PCM -- or ground -- gotta have both to make the system work

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
You still broke down on the road?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I would also try a new factory Ford/Motorcraft Cam Position Sensor. Check the wiring for the CPS too and make sure all battery cables and connections are clean and tight (all ends, just not battery ends). Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys, I did get it trailered home and it’s sitting now, first off it’s a 1997 250 with a 7.3 psd, my throttle cutting out:I was on the gas then I had no pedal response, could mash the pedal and get nothing out of it, then it would jump back and be fine. I put a cps in right before I left, that’s fine, battery terminals and cables are all good, no oil in the icp, I had a 6 chip in it then pulled it out thinking that might be my problem if it wiggled loose and that didn’t do it, I talked to a friend of ours who is real good with these trucks and he thinks it’s bad grounds or the pcm, thanks for your guys inputs, I am at college right now so I’m gonna go home this weekend and take a look at her.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I would think, check the throttle pedal wiring for damage -- also put ForScan on and look at the percentage changes in the throttle as you push the pedal -- Do you have codes?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
What (specific) scan tool? Most generic ones won't read these trucks. Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you check the % change while pushing the pedal?
I did not, my scanner isn’t that involved, I did figure out that the truck only does this when it’s all the way up to temp and hot for awhile, when I drive it cold in the morning it’s perfect, but if I drive it for more than 45 minutes it starts stumbling and wants to stall

1 - 13 of 13 Posts