Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running 315's on stock lariat wheels. I get minor rub on the leaf springs when turning full lock to the left or right. Was looking at these trail sport 1/2" billet aluminum wheel spacers to hopefully give me the clearance to go full lock without rubbing. Think 1/2" spacers will give me the clearance I need? I don't tow with this truck so I don't think I'm gonna have a problem with spacers.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've not run spacers on my super duty but have on other vehicles with no problems. With that being said, I run the bolt on type, not the ones that just slide over and done. I have a friend here who had 2" on his duramax for a couple of years and it towed a bobcat, big gooseneck, and a bunch of other tools on the trailer, so was heavy, without problems. His were bolt on ones as well. I don't like the slip over ones as your loosing thread grab with them. With the bolt on ones I'd think the 4 bolts holding the wheel bearing would cut loose before eight spacer bolts all cut loose. Just my two penny's worth.

·
Registered
755 Posts
As mentioned, I would highly highly highly recommend you to go with the bolt on type instead- especially due to the HD nature these trucks are. It is a much safer setup as explained above and will not cause vibration and balance issues that are common from the slip on type. FYI to do this, you will need a 2" spacer. Anything less and you will have to trim the studs to make it fit right.

Make sure they are hub centric as well. Stay clear of the Ebay ones and only purchase from a reputable company that makes a quality part for obvious reasons.

I have always used Motorsport Tech to build all my wheel spacers from tractors to trucks and have never had any issues- plus Lenny offers a lifetime warrantee.

The other reputable company I trust for wheel spacers is Fred Goeske from wheel adapter.com who builds steel spacers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As mentioned, I would highly highly highly recommend you to go with the bolt on type instead- especially due to the HD nature these trucks are. It is a much safer setup as explained above and will not cause vibration and balance issues that are common from the slip on type. FYI to do this, you will need a 2" spacer. Anything less and you will have to trim the studs to make it fit right.

Make sure they are hub centric as well. Stay clear of the Ebay ones and only purchase from a reputable company that makes a quality part for obvious reasons.

I have always used Motorsport Tech to build all my wheel spacers from tractors to trucks and have never had any issues- plus Lenny offers a lifetime warrantee.

The other reputable company I trust for wheel spacers is Fred Goeske from wheel adapter.com who builds steel spacers.

My original thought was to go with the 2" steel wheel spacers from wheeladapter.com. I was kinda concerned with how a stock wheel would look pushed out 2" further. Kinda goofy I think? I might just live with the rub until I can find some old school hub centric welds....wink wink. Haha

Missed out on a set of hub centric 16x10 weld Cheyennes on Craigslist the other day :mad:

·
Registered
755 Posts
My original thought was to go with the 2" steel wheel spacers from wheeladapter.com. I was kinda concerned with how a stock wheel would look pushed out 2" further. Kinda goofy I think? I might just live with the rub until I can find some old school hub centric welds....wink wink. Haha

Missed out on a set of hub centric 16x10 weld Cheyennes on Craigslist the other day :mad:
How tucked in are your wheels now? Can you post a photo? If they are already hanging out from the fenders respectively, then they might. If they are not or just borderline, it should be perfect.

Take a tape and measure out 2" from the edge to get an estimate.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They just barely stick out past the edge of the fender. How do you like your spacers austen?

·
Registered
755 Posts
They just barely stick out past the edge of the fender. How do you like your spacers austen?
I like them a lot. Can't even tell they're on from a driving aspect. Haven't had any issues with lug nuts coming loose or the sort either. :thumb:

·
Registered
805 Posts
I run 1" bolt on Ebay specials. 20K miles now not a single issue. They are billet aluminum and work great. But my wheels have holes for the stock wheel studs to protrude into since they stick past the spacer like mentioned above.

Id prefer the steel ones especially if i had them on the rear but i dont cause that's where all the toque is going 99% of the time. I hardly ever use 4x4 but when i do there are no issues.

Its going to put more stress on your ball joints but if you dont have obnoxiously large tires you most likely wont have any issues.

·
california deplorable
10,442 Posts
ebay gets a bad rap and to an extent it is deserved but at the same time dont buy chineese crap and blame the seller...just sayin.
i have run USA made lifetime warranty spacers on my super dookie since 2012 never had an issue that wasn't caused by an idiot with an impact wrench and that was he busted the studs on the stock wheel and not the spacer.
that caused plenty of trouble for sure but again not the fault of the spacer more the space cadet...just sayin.
granted i run an 04 with 05 up wheels so the geometry isn't all that different on the rest of the front end but...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts