Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you guys install o-rings or use the gaskets? I got some 5/8 ID by 1/16th thickness o rings from work that look like a good fit, any suggestions? Did you zip tie the handle as well? I'd like to keep the coolant baths to a minimum :hehe:

·
Motor Head.
1,777 Posts

·
Motor Head.
1,777 Posts
Did you guys install o-rings or use the gaskets? I got some 5/8 ID by 1/16th thickness o rings from work that look like a good fit, any suggestions? Did you zip tie the handle as well? I'd like to keep the coolant baths to a minimum :hehe:
The valves worked great and it was a time saver.Get yourself some long hoses and run them to a bucket.

·
Motor Head.
1,777 Posts
No problem.I used the orings off the plugs on the valves only because it was late night when I started the flush and could not get new orings.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was intending to try to get the o-rings that go on the OEM block plugs, and put them on the Fumoto valves. Didn't end up getting them. Local dealer didn't have them in stock and I couldn't figure out how to order them online from Tousley. Bought a "Under Hood Assortment" of o-rings from AutoZone and it had two that fit. I had thought the kit had two of each size, but that's not the case. So I have two different sizes on there and they both work.
The one under the starter was in a very inconvenient position when turned down to stop. I backed it out half a turn and it still seals, and now I can reach it easily.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I flushed the system with distilled water, no chemicals as I had an acceptable delta(typically 8-10) and was hoping to get by for a few months on a new oil cooler. Anyway, i'm now at a 20 degree delta :doh:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
wtf. Wonder how that happened. Maybe when you flushed, it broke loose some of the crap and messed the temps up?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No clue. I flushed until clear water came out and threw I'm the diesel site filter kit. It seems to go up to those temps when on the highway. Always a 20* difference, also changed out the stuck open oem t-stat with a new one. Added elc, about 3 1/2 gallons and rest distilled.

Also, it had a green coolant in it before and temps were fine :doh:

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Did you try back flushing the cooler? At this point you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll give it a shot when I get back home I'm about 150 miles from home. The oil stays around 215-218 hopefully it'll be alrght for the trip home tomorrow. Kind of clueless since I used zero chemicals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts