Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Why I don't Drive with Tow with a Ball Hitch unless towing. No damage done to my truck, but I found this when I came out of the parking lot. You have to wonder about a person who would drive his car into the bumper of a truck and leave the car parked there. If the ball hitch was hooked up, would have done a bit of damage to the car, and perhaps bent the ball hitch or even the frame of the truck.

I backed away and looked at the bumper, hitch and frame, and no damage.

Attachments

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,106 Posts
It would take a pretty big hit to damage the hitch or bend anything. That said - he wouldn't be so lucky ..........

·
Super Moderator
19,197 Posts
I just don't get some people. Why would they risk damaging their own car by doing stupid stuff like that. If you would have had the hitch ball in, they'd have claimed YOU damaged their car.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My hitches stay in. My 06 was rear ended twice. one hit was hard. no damage to my hitch or truck. lots of damage to one car and massive damage to the other car. my 02 was hit pretty good by a maniac flying into a parking lot and hitting my stopped truck. no damage to the 02. IF a little hit would damage the truck frame or hitch you might have stuff thats rusted to powdered metal. those truck frames are tough and the steel is heat treated. Those hitches are very strong and over built. those hitches are my bumper protectors.

The white truck is 06 the red truck 02.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always leave my big torsion ball receiver on just in case some one wants to eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Makes me want to get a hitch (i have only towed with my 5th wheel) just to save the bumpers and dish out life lessons to those looking to learn. =-P

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I always leave mine in as well for 2 reasons:

1. Someone else rear ending me - they will get the brunt of it for sure.

2. I like to randomly find it in the dark with my shin...

-jokester

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
It takes a lot of force to damage a hitch, if someone hit you that hard having the hitch in would make little difference. I leave mine in for the extra protection and if you are backing into a place that has a wall behind it you can back up until the hitch hits, so it doesn't do any damage but you know you are back as far as you can go.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
2. I like to randomly find it in the dark with my shin...

hahaha

i will for sure curse you the first time this will happen to me...

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
This is Why I don't Drive with Tow with a Ball Hitch unless towing. No damage done to my truck, but I found this when I came out of the parking lot. You have to wonder about a person who would drive his car into the bumper of a truck and leave the car parked there. If the ball hitch was hooked up, would have done a bit of damage to the car, and perhaps bent the ball hitch or even the frame of the truck.

I had a Toyota Camry hooked on my ball mount once upon a time. North of $3000 damage to the little car. None to my truck.

k

·
Registered
981 Posts
Its technically illegal, so I dont keep my hitch in. I may leave/forget about it but whatevs.
where is it illegal ? federal law says you can have items extend 3 feet past your bumpers. thats why those receiver platforms and wheelchair and bike carriers are used. some are welded on to prevent theft and cannot be removed without cutting them off. here in los angeles you see them everywhere. and theres the old style bumper bolt on the you have to unbolt to remove. i had a custom welded on receiver type hitch made at the local hitch place for my 66 ford full size station wagon. it looked very similar to the ones on my trucks. they also make a step that looks just like my ball mount that i see on truck that people leave in all the time. i also use mine as a step. let cop give me a ticket and watch me make a huge public stink and file a lawsuit. who the $%^& cares if my $%#&*@( hitch is in ?

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
484 Posts
My hitches stay in. My 06 was rear ended twice. one hit was hard. no damage to my hitch or truck. lots of damage to one car and massive damage to the other car. my 02 was hit pretty good by a maniac flying into a parking lot and hitting my stopped truck. no damage to the 02. IF a little hit would damage the truck frame or hitch you might have stuff thats rusted to powdered metal. those truck frames are tough and the steel is heat treated. Those hitches are very strong and over built. those hitches are my bumper protectors.

The white truck is 06 the red truck 02.
This 100%. I've had someone eat the hitch. Looking at my truck, you'd never know it. They needed work done. Not my problem.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts

If you look at the photo you can see that the car actually crossed the limit line separating the parking stalls. You can fit your big old truck into your stall but that little car can’t fit his car in his stall.
BTL

1 - 20 of 44 Posts