Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend SET on a Duramax...he's had chevys his whole life (except one money pit dodge). I sold him on diesels but still working on a powerstroke...
:icon_ford:

He has his eye on this Duramax.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LS Crew Cab Short Bed 4WD - Cars For Sale Wellington, OH

He wants me to go look at it for him, I dont know anything about the duramax except the front ends are weak compared to Ford and even weaker with a lift. What should I look for engine wise? Any of you guys ever have one? I know they are great engines but you would NEVER get me out of my 7.3. Im trying to talk him out of it but its his money not mine(last truck I told him NOT to buy was the dodge and he put two trans and two front ends plus almost everything else in there before he was able to sell it)

·
Registered
951 Posts
If hes set on a Dmax make it an 06, one of the best running trucks on the road imo. Fuel system was sorted out and last year before real emissions.

Jason

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the duramax trucks have injector problems the first couple years?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did the duramax trucks have injector problems the first couple years?

Yes they did. From what I understand, they wear out and dilute the oil with diesel fuel. When going to change them, its like 3 times more difficult than the newer dmaxs.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i heard from a couple guys who had the 01 and 02 duramax that diesel fuel got in the oil and somehow it affected the cooling and the heads cracked, dont remember exactly what happened but they ended up with major repairs several times

·
Registered
5 Posts
01 to 04 LB7's.. all had injector problems.... poorly designed...... Still think those are the best motors..would trade my LMM if I could have my 04 back.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So injector replacement fixes the problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes until the go out again..... There is no permanent fix...... the design was remedied in 04.5 with the LLY motor but that is also when the duramax got it's emissions..... LLY is known for weak head gaskets.... LBZ started in 06 pretty much LLY with better head gaskets more emissions crap and a 6 speed ally...... that brings you to my LMM all of the above +DPF and new body style.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Once you get past all of the FOO FOO stuff on the duramax, have get in the back seat, then have him get in yours, ford has is going on. LOTS of ROOM almost spacious. If you friend is open minded just state the facts on the duramax. and make sure he remembers what he is going to use the truck for. :icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
IMO, the price is really good for the mileage (could be because of a problem or anything). I was looking at dmax for awhile because they hold resale value pretty good but that also means they are more expensive. Like mentioned lb7 is a great motor but injectors are the weak point. The suspension probably is a nice strain on the whole front end you have to judge it when you go drive it but if you do drive the pi$$ out of it, test 4wd, the usual stuff :thumb:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I'm gonna try to go look at it this week with him. I'll definitely check that front end out hardcore as I know the lift is really hard on it. I'll cold start it, run the car fax, the usual. And yeah my ford crew cab is awesome, tons more room back there compared to other trucks. I was looking at a 02 duramax on craigslist and the owner said he just did all the injectors for 4000!? Does it really cost that much on those trucks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts