Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
It's normally called "turbo bark". It's a normal thing on a tuned 6.0 when you let off the throttle quick when under load. Here's another youtube video that explains it a little.....

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Haha! It just seems like by the time I get my comment posted you've already said the same thing! Seems like you know your 6.0 stuff pretty good though.

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
Turbo fart..........

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
I've tried to learn as much as possible about it. I'm not a tech by any means but I am an educated 6.0 owner! I do all the work to mine myself in my driveway (link in sig) lol. Being educated in 6.0 knowledge has proven to be very beneficial for myself over the last 2 years of owning mine. I love my 6.0 and the 6.0 engine in general. They fascinate me and I would love to be a tech and work on them everyday for a living but can't afford the low starting entry level tech pay at the moment until my wife is done with nursing school. Then I can be a tool b*tch for a couple years and work my way up from the bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Personally I still like a 6.0 but I work on them every day. You definitely need to know a little about them or have a good mechanic or they can bite you in the butt!

Eh, I'd stick with whatever your doing for work now! I've been doing this for over 10 years now and I still question my career choice.... It's a tough gig to do for what it pays, but I do like what I do and get some satisfaction from the job. I'd probably be ok if I quit buying tools all the time but I'm a tool junkie!

Any way, I'm derailing this thread so I'll stop. But yes, the sound in the video is "turbo bark" or "turbo fart", which is totally normal for a tuned 6.0.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have to have a cold air intake to hear it like that?? I'm tuned and never heard it like that before...

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
A cold air intake will make the sound more noticeable, but it also depends on how aggressive of a tune you're running, and how hard you run it. If your running a "street" sort of tune like the SCT canned tunes you should be able to make you truck do this. Just powerlock it one time and let off it quick and you will hear this sound.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Hmm, surprised you've never heard it do that. Just mash on the brake and the gas at the same time like you're trying to do a burn out, then let off of it real quick and you should hear it make that noise.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hmm, surprised you've never heard it do that. Just mash on the brake and the gas at the same time like you're trying to do a burn out, then let off of it real quick and you should hear it make that noise.
I used to never hear it till I moved up here to gainesville. In my old town, when I would hotrod and make WOT passes down the street I never let off real quick because the roads were open. Now however, there is so much dam traffic up here in g'ville that I have to let off real quick when quickly accelerating and it will bark at me lol. I try not to do it but sometimes I can't help it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to never hear it till I moved up here to gainesville. In my old town, when I would hotrod and make WOT passes down the street I never let off real quick because the roads were open. Now however, there is so much dam traffic up here in g'ville that I have to let off real quick when quickly accelerating and it will bark at me lol. I try not to do it but sometimes I can't help it.
Is it bad for it??

I've been looking at CAI for a while, I'd like to have one but I don't get why they are so expensive....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Is it bad for it??

I've been looking at CAI for a while, I'd like to have one but I don't get why they are so expensive....
I don't think it is inherently bad if it happens occasionally, however I think if you are doing it all the time then you could cause some kind of harm but I am no expert.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey I saw your list of mods, pretty similar to what I've done. How do u like the exhaust??? Been wanting to get one but I don't wanna waste my money and end up with an overly loud truck. Still gotta keep the cat (thanks cali), so is it even worth it?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Its bad but its not, that sound is the reason ricers run blow off valves, the unused boost will eventually make the turbo have in and out shaft play. Its not likely to happen when it only does it once in a great while. If its every time you hit the gas, turbo would be lucky to last a year.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
It happens to me when I am towing a grade and some jack wagon jumps in front of me and slows down. Twenty pounds of boost to the brakes in the blink of an eye will do it, even in a "jake braked" tune.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I thought that sound was a sign that the vanes were sticking and the turbo needed to be cleaned :dunno:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts