Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm thinkin about selling my 02 f250 and buying another ford but with the 6.4 in it. do you all think it is worth it. or do they have to many problems.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i woulnt do it theres a reason why they only came out a small amount of years but i really dont know much about them...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't think you should do it either, the reliability of the 7.3 is unmatched by the newer Powerstrokes. Sure, they may feel like hot rods, but the 7.3 is a great workhorse that'll be on the road a long time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You all do make good points I just am lookin for somethin different tired of the same old same old

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I know what you mean, I just want the interior

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I am not bad mouthing any of the Powerstrokes because I would love to have one of each.:nod: BUT having said that, I would keep the 7.3. Its a proven motor and is almost indestructable. A truck that is paid for is a lot easier to work,play, repair, modify etc... than a 40 to $60,000.00 truck is.:tard:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I know what you mean, I just want the interior
I would have to say that if they can take the interior out of a 2000 model mustang and put it in a 1960 model mustang, then SURELY it could be done in our trucks as well:dunno: That would look sweet!:thumb:

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I would have to say that if they can take the interior out of a 2000 model mustang and put it in a 1960 model mustang, then SURELY it could be done in our trucks as well:dunno: That would look sweet!:thumb:
My wallet isn't fat enough. Pretty sure from what I have read there is a problem with hooking up the gauges and having them work, but 08 dash in a 2000 would be BA!

·
Registered
394 Posts
You all do make good points I just am lookin for somethin different tired of the same old same old
I know how you feel. I am looking at buying a nice CCLB 4x4 03 Cummins 6-speed just for a change, plus that Cummins motors really moves when you step on it.

·
IBEW Journeyman Lineman
772 Posts
I wouldn't be scared of the 6.4. There's nothing wrong with wanting something different. I went from having 2 7.3s, to 1 7.3 and an 08 6.4. There's enough info on the web about the problems with the 6.4 and its emission equipment to know how to make a great reliable truck out of them. I'm not saying anything bad about the 7.3, its a solid reliable truck and that's why I still have one for my tow rig.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was recently thinking about doing the same thing. Then I started crunching numbers and realized instead of paying 50,000 for a new truck I could take 15,000-20,000 and replace alot of engine components, new tranny, redo some suspension for smoother ride, repaint, and do some interior work and have a basically brand new bad *** 7.3. That's the route I decided to take

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I was recently thinking about doing the same thing. Then I started crunching numbers and realized instead of paying 50,000 for a new truck I could take 15,000-20,000 and replace alot of engine components, new tranny, redo some suspension for smoother ride, repaint, and do some interior work and have a basically brand new bad *** 7.3. That's the route I decided to take
You should start another thread and do some before/after pics!! I would be interested to see how it goes

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah you should def start another thread thats an amazing idea. my wife would love you for giving me that idea. i was looking at the black mamba engine thats pretty bad ***

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
yeah you should def start another thread thats an amazing idea. my wife would love you for giving me that idea. i was looking at the black mamba engine thats pretty bad ***
Yeah the 500hp outta the box one. I mean if money was no object I would be droppin this one in, just because...
Outlaw Diesel Performance :: Online Store

·
Registered
3,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would, I drove a 6.4 at work the other day and it made me want to get rid of my truck and I drive a problem free 06. The interior is BA, the front end I like, the power is unmatched, tranny is great, problems are documented and not anywhere near the 6.0 status, its steers leagues beyond my truck I felt like I could park that truck ANYWHERE, and once you get the DPF off if you can go that route the mileage actually isnt bad. Only problem is they are wayyyy to quiet IMO :(

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Do the 6.4ls have the def system or is that just the 6.7l

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
just 6.7, 6.4 has DPF filter:thumb:

yay for the trees hurray hurraaayyyy :doh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts